What's new

Winter Scents

Hi guys,

I'm just starting to expand my scent library. At the moment they are mostly clean oceany scents. I own Aqua di Gio and Issey Miyake, both of which I now detest, Guerlain Vetiver and L'occitane Eaux de Baux both of which I love.

It's now winter in Australia and I'm looking to find a winter scent, maybe one that's not too common but is still an average price and was wondering what makes a scent a winter scent (is it more woody than fresh?) and also what your favourite winter scent is?

Hopefully I'll get some ideas that will point me in the right direction. I hope being in Australia that doesn't put me behind the 8-ball in terms of accessibility.

Thanks for the help.

- L

I tend to like some of the heavier ones like Knize 10 and Eucris in the frezzing Chicago area winters. Also Tam Dao and C&S#88 as suggested by other members. It partly depends on what you mean by winter - San Diego or Minnesota? I'd wear lime all year in San Diego.

proxy.php

For winter I'd suggest Prada Amber Pour Homme, Burberry London, Burberry by Burberry, Kouros (try it before you buy it--if it works with your body it's awesome, if it doesn't it's crap--literally), Aramis. Those are just the one's I can think right off the top of my head that are readily available so you shouldn't have a hard time finding em.

Hi guys,

I'm just starting to expand my scent library. At the moment they are mostly clean oceany scents. I own Aqua di Gio and Issey Miyake, both of which I now detest, Guerlain Vetiver and L'occitane Eaux de Baux both of which I love.

It's now winter in Australia and I'm looking to find a winter scent, maybe one that's not too common but is still an average price and was wondering what makes a scent a winter scent (is it more woody than fresh?) and also what your favourite winter scent is?

Hopefully I'll get some ideas that will point me in the right direction. I hope being in Australia that doesn't put me behind the 8-ball in terms of accessibility.

Thanks for the help.

- L

Hi Louis, Fragrances that are generally used in winter months tend to be heavier in nature. Woody and tobacco notes are typical of this type scent. I find that Guerlain Vetiver works for me year-round. Burberry London is another one that I enjoy when the weather gets cool. Rive Gauche pour homme is also a fragrance that I think works better for the winter months. Hope this helps.

It might be good to think about what kind of fragrances that people like in the winter. Since it's summer up here in the northern hemisphere, people have been posting a lot about colognes and aftershaves with citrus notes. Since Tam Dao has been already mentioned, I'd say that I think that sandalwood is a great element in a wintery fragrance. If you don't want to spend much money, you could pick up a bottle of Arden's Sandalwood on line. It's a good way to see if you sandalwood without investing a fortune.

Thanks a lot for the replies guys. You've given me some great leads to follow up on. Tam Dao sound like it is worth a sample. I know of only one place in Melbourne that stocks it and it close enough for me to pay a visit to.

Also I saw some Tabac EDC at the pharmacy yesterday and bought it on an impulse buy just because of the reviews here and on basenotes. I figured it was only 20 bucks for 50ml so it was worth a punt. Turns out I really like the stuff, it smells really clean and really good for winter.

Thanks again.

-L

Last edited:
My favorite winter scent is Tom Ford Amber Absolute, but it's awfully pricey and hard to find. A close second is Etro Messe de Minuit, which I've bought off Amazon.com. Both are rich spicy amber/incense scents.

Also: Caron Yatagan, Chanel Antaeus...hmmmm...what else have I boxed up for the winter....Knize Ten...Chanel Pour Monsieur...Guerlain Habit Rouge, Hermes Bel Ami. I'm sure there are others. Some can work in the summer, but in Texas, this time of year...lots of them can get cloying in the heat.

Top Bottom