What's new

Williams mug soap

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
I know this has been discussed before, but I just had to post it. I forgot that I had this soap and used it the other day. Although I'm not crazy about the citronella smell, it is light, and I can get by it. For an inexpensive soap, I think this performs well. Williams should consider making this in other fragrances. A lime or lemon would be nice. Even a lemon lime soap would be more pleasing.

I know this has been discussed before, but I just had to post it. I forgot that I had this soap and used it the other day. Although I'm not crazy about the citronella smell, it is light, and I can get by it. For an inexpensive soap, I think this performs well. Williams should consider making this in other fragrances. A lime or lemon would be nice. Even a lemon lime soap would be more pleasing.
Williams did not really clarify why they discontinued the soap last year. See the link below for their response to my inquiry on the topic. Too bad, it was a great soap that was available for 99 cents at our local grocery store. Last of the "old school" shaving soaps sold in stores. It's for sale at over $30 a puck now on Amazon and $20 - $45 on Ebay. Perhaps by next year we can trade them 1:1 for MdC 🙂

If kept in an open mug, that this soap is intended for, the scent dissipates over a few days. I get great lather from Williams with my boar brush. Glad I still have a few on hand. Closest "old school" soap still available now is Arko though that needs to be purchased on-line.

Last edited:
Williams did not really clarify why they discontinued the soap last year. See the link below for their response to my inquiry on the topic. Too bad, it was a great soap that was available for 99 cents at our local grocery store. Last of the "old school" shaving soaps sold in stores. It's for sale at over $30 a puck now on Amazon and $20 - $45 on Ebay. Perhaps by next year we can trade them 1:1 for MdC 🙂

If kept in an open mug, that this soap is intended for, the scent dissipates over a few days. I get great lather from Williams with my boar brush. Glad I still have a few on hand. Closest "old school" soap still available now is Arko though that needs to be purchased on-line.

It's something I wish I'd stocked up on!
Easy to use and cheap. I'm slowly using my puck that sat in a mug under my sink forever. 😭

I think I have two unused pucks and one that's a 50/50 mix with VDH -- the 50/50 mix lathers better and is really slick, but you still have to overload the brush (normally boar) to keep it from collapsing. 50/50 or straight from the puck, the slickness is always top notch, and the residual slickness is always there; needing a washcloth to remove completely.

I think I have two unused pucks and one that's a 50/50 mix with VDH -- the 50/50 mix lathers better and is really slick, but you still have to overload the brush (normally boar) to keep it from collapsing. 50/50 or straight from the puck, the slickness is always top notch, and the residual slickness is always there; needing a washcloth to remove completely.
My Van Der Williams blends are as good or better than any of my commercial pucks from a core shaving performance perspective. Have posted on my experiments with different rations and the addition of other ingredients. Adding small amounts of other superlathering ingredients, such as Dove Men + Care and Proraso, along with small amounts of Ivory for added slickness really enhance the blend performance. Arko works as a substitute for now unobtainium Williams.

My best blend to date included two pucks of Williams, two of Van Der Hagen Deluxe, 2 ounces of Dove, an ounce of Proraso, 2 ounces of Arko and 2 ounces of Ivory (15.5 ounces total) for 5 pucks of excellent shaving soap that easily create thick and slick lather. Used Arko in place of one puck of Williams. Added benefit of really stretching out my fixed supply of Williams. Over a years supply of shaving soap.

The Williams line is owned by Combe, a personal care products company founded by ad man Ivan Combe, that developed Clearasil and sold it (presumably at great profit) to Richardson-Merrell, which subsequently split into Merrell Dow and Richardson-Vicks. (Combe still owns Vagasil, iirc.) They seem to have bought the Williams line (Brylcreem, Just for Men, Lectric Shave) to have a steady source of income while their main focus is on developing new products. They don't seem to invest much in promoting the Williams line, and I suspect all those products will gradually disappear as the older generations raised on Williams TV commercials (like mine) fade away. Williams Mug Soap, developed by Mr. Williams himself in 1840, was the first of these old standbys to go (that I know of).

My Van Der Williams blends are as good or better than any of my commercial pucks from a core shaving performance perspective. Have posted on my experiments with different rations and the addition of other ingredients. Adding small amounts of other superlathering ingredients, such as Dove Men + Care and Proraso, along with small amounts of Ivory for added slickness really enhance the blend performance. Arko works as a substitute for now unobtainium Williams.

My best blend to date included two pucks of Williams, two of Van Der Hagen Deluxe, 2 ounces of Dove, an ounce of Proraso, 2 ounces of Arko and 2 ounces of Ivory (15.5 ounces total) for 5 pucks of excellent shaving soap that easily create thick and slick lather. Used Arko in place of one puck of Williams. Added benefit of really stretching out my fixed supply of Williams. Over a years supply of shaving soap.
I've used a plain puck of Williams straight out of the box just wetting the face and rubbing it straight on like a shave stick. The trick is to not use too little or too much water; too little and not enough soap transfers to your face to lather with, and too much and it just slides around and transfers too little to lather. Once you dial it in, you'll get a good lather for at least two passes (I usually only do two passes). Not to stray off topic, but I have a cracked and desiccated puck of SeaForth! from probably the late 40s, early 50s that will still lather, it just takes a little more water and when lathered, the lather has a slight yellowish tinge making me wonder if there is some clay mixed in with the tallow mixture. Either way, the lather produced is like modern Williams, only a bit more billowy (still need to try it as a shave stick). Maybe I'll grate the SeaForth in with the "Van Der Williams" for a "Van Der Williams Sea IV."

I've used a plain puck of Williams straight out of the box just wetting the face and rubbing it straight on like a shave stick. The trick is to not use too little or too much water; too little and not enough soap transfers to your face to lather with, and too much and it just slides around and transfers too little to lather. Once you dial it in, you'll get a good lather for at least two passes (I usually only do two passes). Not to stray off topic, but I have a cracked and desiccated puck of SeaForth! from probably the late 40s, early 50s that will still lather, it just takes a little more water and when lathered, the lather has a slight yellowish tinge making me wonder if there is some clay mixed in with the tallow mixture. Either way, the lather produced is like modern Williams, only a bit more billowy (still need to try it as a shave stick). Maybe I'll grate the SeaForth in with the "Van Der Williams" for a "Van Der Williams Sea IV."
I believe that most shaving soaps will produce good lather if you adjust your lathering technique as needed. Suspect that many who have challenges lathering certain soaps don't do that. For example trying to lather a hard puck in the same way as a softer artisan soap. @EclipseRedRing , who really focuses on vintage soaps, has also had lots of success with older shaving products and may be familiar with what you have experienced with your SeaForth.

For me straight Williams works best with a good boar brush (link to my technique below). Interestingly I started creating my Van Der Williams blends due to challenges in initially lathering Williams when I returned to DE shaving 3+ years ago with a poor quality no-name brush. Since then upgrades to better quality tools let me easily lather any of my soaps. Glad I started blending though as my blends provide really low cost soaps that deliver top quality core shaving performance.

Haven't tried it yet. Bought 5 or 6 for less than 5 bucks on a black Friday deal a few years ago when I heard it might be discontinued. Still using my tallow Tabac lol.
See my post via the link below regarding a good way to get great results from Williams when you are ready to try it.

Williams is, or was, a pretty good soap. As the post above points out you have to know how and be willing to work it. Its a thirsty soap.
Hi Deano, absolutely. It's all about loading enough product to generate the desired lather. Williams is my hardest puck and also has a relatively small diameter compared to most of my other soaps to a stiff brush and sufficient loading time are required. Those that try to lather it in similar fashion to softer artisan woaps with a 15-20 second load and a soft brush will be disappointed.

At 99 cents a puck in my local grocery store prior to its discontinuation last February it was one of the best values in shaving soap. Glad I stocked up when I could.

Hi Deano, absolutely. It's all about loading enough product to generate the desired lather. Williams is my hardest puck and also has a relatively small diameter compared to most of my other soaps to a stiff brush and sufficient loading time are required. Those that try to lather it in similar fashion to softer artisan woaps with a 15-20 second load and a soft brush will be disappointed.

At 99 cents a puck in my local grocery store prior to its discontinuation last February it was one of the best values in shaving soap. Glad I stocked up when I could.
Yes I also have 6 or 8 pucks put back. Im a boar guy so that may be part of the reason l find it easier to use.

Top Bottom