What's new

Wilkinson Sword - no, really...

Wilkinson Sword that belonged to my grandfather. He was a Colonel in the South African Police. I inherited it from my father, and will pass it on to my son in due course. Being a ceremonial sword, the blade hasn't been sharpened, although it could be.

The etching includes the WS logo and the royal coat of arms, as well as the South African coat of arms and two interlocking triangles, originally a guild proof called the "Star of Damascus," originally an Eastern mark of distinction found on swords of high-quality workmanship.

20240419_161011.jpg
20240419_160942.jpg

Attachments

• 20240419_160955.jpg
    20240419_160955.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 5

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
That's a lovely sword! Clearly, though it's essentially a "dress" sword it has been made to be a real sword, not some SSO or "sword shaped object." I've seen inexpensive ceremonial regalia where the "sword" was simply a hilt fastened to the top of something shaped like a scabbard. Somebody thought quite highly of your grandfather.

Aside from my old fencing gear, I have an old cavalry sabre of somewhat uncertain provenance. My father was in the US Army cavalry in the late '30s and carried a US pattern sabre as a matter of course. After WW2 he repurposed it as an item of his Masonic regalia (York Rite) but it and his regalia were lost in a fire at the lodge in the early '60s. About 20 years later I found this one and gave it to him for Christmas one year.

It's clearly mass production but also clearly made to be used. He kept it lovingly polished and hanging up in his den. Now it lives in my home office. Something about holding a good sword; you just want to try it out and see if you're big enough for it. :)

O.H.

Swords really do carry a lot of history!

I fully agree with you, that the temptation to pick it up and try it out for it's purpose is always there. This particular sword can be sharpened and used, although that would make ceremonial use a lot more dangerous!

Here's a clip of Wilkinson Swords being made.
Note the emphasis on form and function... and the dress code on the factory floor!