What's new

Why is this happening to my brushes?

Is there a way to fix this or prevent it from happening? I don't think I abuse my brushes that much, but I've noticed that synthetic brushes develop that spiral between the knot within a few years and while they are still usable and functional, they look horrible and ugly. This has prevented me from buying a custom made brushes ever since I've got into wet shaving.

384199362_3626873757591227_7033801464985271036_n.jpg

What is displayed there is the beginning of the feared "donut hole".

It caused by using too much pressure when whipping up lather and / or applying lather to your face.

If you can train yourself to never using down pressure when whipping up lather (gravity only) and avoid hard splay when applying lather to your face your brushes will last MUCH longer.

What is displayed there is the beginning of the feared "donut hole".

It caused by using too much pressure when whipping up lather and / or applying lather to your face.

If you can train yourself to never using down pressure when whipping up lather (gravity only) and avoid hard splay when applying lather to your face your brushes will last MUCH longer.

+1! Sorry! :sob::sob:

OR! Just prefer to look at it as a "happy accident" that a little kid would think is cool. Seriously. Ugly is in the eye of the beholder. (That's why my wife watches TV with me in the dark!)

Just what does she keep you in the dark about?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Just what does she keep you in the dark about?
Lol, I'm not sure, but I do know this: what I don't know won't hurt me.

I am nearly certain I have known less than half of what goes on in this household for the last 35 years. And me gettin' enlightened on stuff at this late date won't help anyone.

I've never had one doughnut on me, but I did receive one as a throw in for other items I've purchased. Looks like it was heavily mashed into the bowl/face when lathering.

Your brushes also look like you only swirl in one direction since all the tips are pointing the same way. I've always made sure to go in different directions every now and then.

The problem is not pressing too much. The solution is to not do swirls, but painting.
I stopped swirling at least a decade ago.
How can you lather off a puck without swirling? BTW, I have brushes that are 15 years old with no sign of this, all swirled, and I’ve never paid attention to how much pressure I’m using. They are all boar or badger though.

How can you lather off a puck without swirling? BTW, I have brushes that are 15 years old with no sign of this, all swirled, and I’ve never paid attention to how much pressure I’m using. They are all boar or badger though.
Not a puck user.
I very rarely use Proraso tubs. There I swirl.
99% of the time I am using cream in tubes. Squeeze cream inside the knot and face lather.

Thanks for the suggestions and the criticism. I guess I must either stop using creams and face lather at the same time, or just use natural brushes instead of synthetics. Well, even if I don't find a permanent solution, most synthetic brushes are super cheap and even with that hole, they are perfectly usable. I also can't picture myself going to boars and badgers, because I've tried those in the past and while they were fun to play with, I find synthetics much easier to use and overall superior, aside from that donut hole lol. A small price to pay.

I really wanted to buy one of those fancy custom made brushes from brands like Wolf Whiskers and Paladin, but knowing that I'm going to ruin them and make them look like someone's nightmare, I guess it's better to keep buying cheap synthetics for $15-$20 every few years and when I can no longer look at them, to throw them away and that's it.

That's what I like about the razors. With minimal maintenance and care, they can outlive me and probably their new owners too, but I just don't see that happening with brushes, unless the user tries really hard to keep them safe.

Top Bottom