What's new

Why I Use a Sponge

When I first began this SR journey I watched a video where the member used a sponge to clean the blade of lather between strokes. One thing I noticed was the amount of hair specks in the lather and how a sharp razor makes the lather dark and a dull razor doesn't.

I tried that, but the sponge loads up so quickly that I went back to rinsing under running water. Cleaning up the sponge afterwards was an extra trouble

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried that, but the sponge loads up so quickly that I went back to rinsing under running water. Cleaning up the sponge afterwards was an extra trouble

The sponge I use is fairly thick, but I get your point. That said, I do a fair amount of palm stropping between passes. The feeback from hair cut is well worth the effort for me.

I use several squares of toilet paper to wipe my blade on. It goes in the commode when the shave is done. I rinse the blade after the shave, trying to minimize the amount of water on the razor.

I use several squares of toilet paper to wipe my blade on. It goes in the commode when the shave is done. I rinse the blade after the shave, trying to minimize the amount of water on the razor.

I have thought of that. I dry and oil with toilet paper. I might start with a little water in the bowl and wooie on my sponge. Then I can rinse excess of sponge between wipes. I do a triple pass, so toilet paper could really slow me down, being careful.

My barber used to wipe his shavette when trimming edges, onto a barber strip draped over the free arm. I have used tissues or tp, but ordered some neck strips (and the dispenser I think), recently.

Using a 0.99 sponge helps keep me from accidentally smacking a faucet or sink edge with the blade. Worth the effort.

Lather is almost entirely made up of water so I can't see that washing it away with water should worsen anything. However after shaving I dry the blade with a towel, then I wipe the blade and scales with a paper napkin. Then I strop it and leave it open on a table over the day before putting it back into the display cabinet.

Kinda depends on your sink, I would think. Some faucets are close and awkward and just asking to nick your edge.

I used a sponge for a while, but my faucet gives me enough room that I'm no longer too worried about hitting things in there, so I've gone back to rinsing.

What I liked about the sponge was how quiet the bathroom was during the shave.

Maybe if I find a sponge that is smooth and dense and rinses off easily. A porous sponge seemed annoying to wash clean.

Maybe just a wet cloth draped over my left arm, barber style. Except unlike barbers, we swap arms, so would have to keep swapping the cloth from left to right.

sigh. first world problems.

My sponge I found in the household cleaning section of Home Depot. It's orange and thick. I cut it in half. This one cleans up nicely. Like I said, I like it to see how much I am cutting, helps me judge the edge a bit. And, it is nice no to have continually be turning the Delta on and off.

I just use an old hand towel. Then once finished, i rinse under the hottest water from the tap and then rinse in alcohol.

I also like to use a sponge, working from the interior out towards the edge, so that it can accumulate more swipes of lather. Though I sometimes use the edges or flip the sponge if it gets too covered.

A nice side effect is there is always some section of lather that does not contain any whiskers, so during final touch ups, it is easy to grab a bit of lather with your fingers. Easier to reuse the unspent lather sitting on the sponge, than get it from the brush.

Top Bottom