What's new

Why Don't You Use A Straight Razor?

I have read too many posts from people who do both and say the results are the same, which makes sense to me - how can I get a better BBS? What might a better BBS be?
There is no such thing as a "better BBS" unless one of the BBS shaves is obtained at the expense of a lot of irritation. If you are getting irritation-free BBS shaves with your current gear, you cannot and will not get a better shave with a straight razor or a shavette.

It's just a different method of arriving at the same place, IMO.

My first open-blade shave was on December 30th of 2017 (a Feather kamisori shavette). I switched to old-fashioned straight razors in February of 2018, and shaved all the way though 2018 (every day) with a straight razor, and a month or two into 2019 before I got tired of the maintenance and went back to DEs and SEs. By August of 2019 I was missing my open-blade shaves, but didn't really want to go back to straight razor maintenance. That's when I remembered the Feather SS and borrowed one from a generous forum member (a folding one this time, because I figured after straight razor shaving for a long time it would feel more intuitive to me). After one shave I had decided to buy myself a folding Feather SS, and sent back the loaner.

My first shave with the folding Feather SS shavette was September 24th of 2019. Since then I have used it exclusively (with the exception of one travel shave).

I know I could go back to DE and SE and probably be fine and perhaps even satisfied, but at this point open-blade shaving has become what shaving is to me. I still use my DEs and SEs for clean-up of some difficult areas that I could probably learn how to do better if I lost the crutch, but I don't want to completely give up my DEs and SEs, so I am doing this hybrid way of shaving for now. Once I get to an entire year with the Feather SS as the main razor for every shave, I may start working a DE or an SE shave into the rotation once in a while. Maybe I'll settle in to a rotation that includes the SS but also uses my wonderful DEs and SEs for full shaves. I haven't decided yet. I think, at this point, that I wouldn't lose my shavette skills by doing so, since I have so many open-blade shaves under my belt now (probably over 500).

Who knows? The other direction I might go is pushing myself to learn to do even the most difficult places with the SS, in which case I could sell off the DEs and SEs and just use nothing but the SS.

I don't use a straight because it seems to be too high maintainance for me.

I've tried a couple of shavettes, but I couldn't get as close a shave with them as I could with a DE.
Also, it was rather bloody. To quote a stand-up comic back in the day, "Zip-Zop. My face is ripped to shreds. All I wanted was a close shave, not a self sacrifice!"

I don't use a straight because it seems to be too high maintainance for me.

I've tried a couple of shavettes, but I couldn't get as close a shave with them as I could with a DE.
Also, it was rather bloody. To quote a stand-up comic back in the day, "Zip-Zop. My face is ripped to shreds. All I wanted was a close shave, not a self sacrifice!"
There is a technique to it. It takes practice.
I also think that shavettes that use DE blades are inherently more difficult than the Feather SS, and others that use AC blades.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I'm uncomfortable with an agressive open comb safety razor. I can't even fathom using a straight razor.
This depends on what you mean by comfortable. With the right technique, an SR is far more comfortable, meaning nil irritation, than a "safety" razor.

I think the reason is that an SR gives you much greater control on how the edge intereactacts with your skin. Yes, it takes about 50 to 100 SR shaves to get there, but once there most never want to go back.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I got started with straight shaving in 2014. For a while I would agree with you that a straight razor shave was simply the most comfortable possible. Nowadays, I would disagree. Shaving with a straight made me better at shaving with everything else, and now I get my smoothest and most comfortable shaves from DE and SE razors with sharp, smooth blades in them and mild to mid aggressive razors.

This might have a lot to do with skin and facial hair type. My facial hair grows in some odd directions and in some spots around my jaw and ears it is literally impossible to shave directly against the grain without slicing myself. A smaller blade can maneuver those spots perfectly.

I still straight shave and hone, but not exclusively. About 1-2x weekly and more for the enjoyment of the process than the final shave.

And to be honest, I'm comfortable in the rabbit holes I'm in.
Sums up my feelings perfectly right now. I do see shavettes being a good transitional tool for those who are looking at getting into SR shaving. I have tried SR shaving with a shavette but it’s just not my favorite method

I can't get a good edge on a knife, so I doubt I could get anywhere near an acceptable edge on a straight.
Sadly, it's a skill I just don't posses. Along with getting a spit shine on shoes or boots, or being able to tie a full Windsor on the first 10 tries.
The Army taught me how to get a good shine on my shoes. Serving a mission for the LDS church taught me how to tie a tie (had to wear one every day for two years... you get good at it after a while).
I send my kitchen knives off to be sharpened, though. Don't have a faint clue.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I can't get a good edge on a knife, so I doubt I could get anywhere near an acceptable edge on a straight.
Sadly, it's a skill I just don't posses. Along with getting a spit shine on shoes or boots, or being able to tie a full Windsor on the first 10 tries.
You could try disposable blade SR's. Many forget that they are also straight razors.

A full Windsor takes some practice. That is the only knot that I use with my ties. I also tie my own bowties. But let us not get off topic.

for me there are two reasons.. firstly i coudlnt be bothered with the maintenance of keeping it honed etc but more importantly i would like my head attached to my body

... maybe i saw too many mafia/gangster movies when was young

I admit that I have tried it. And that I didn't know what I was doing. I watched a bunch of youtube. Thought I had it figured out, but not really. I made a lot of mistakes. Number one was the lack of financial dedication. I picked up a cheap razor hoping it "was shave ready" as advertised. (Zertone) Mistake number two was thinking a cheap strop would be all I needed to keep the edge in what I thought was shave ready. I did know that it would eventually need to be honed. I could keep going, but I will spare you. 😶 A shavette did come to mind, but I wanted to go traditional.
I do have some questions. Is there a thread dedicated to the new straight shaver. What I'm thinking about is something that would get a guy into the spot as cheap (gold dollar good steel at least right?) and straightforward as possible. Something step by step. Must-haves versus nice. I was thinking of lapping film to maintain. Maybe followed by a finishing stone. (ILR?) If there is no such a thread, would someone be willing to take it on? I'm not saying that a new guy would lean how to hone like a pro. But it would be nice to start with a great edge to compare. Maybe have two edges—one as the shaver and the other not to use but to compare.

I admit that I have tried it. And that I didn't know what I was doing. I watched a bunch of youtube. Thought I had it figured out, but not really. I made a lot of mistakes. Number one was the lack of financial dedication. I picked up a cheap razor hoping it "was shave ready" as advertised. (Zertone) Mistake number two was thinking a cheap strop would be all I needed to keep the edge in what I thought was shave ready. I did know that it would eventually need to be honed. I could keep going, but I will spare you. 😶 A shavette did come to mind, but I wanted to go traditional.
I do have some questions. Is there a thread dedicated to the new straight shaver. What I'm thinking about is something that would get a guy into the spot as cheap (gold dollar good steel at least right?) and straightforward as possible. Something step by step. Must-haves versus nice. I was thinking of lapping film to maintain. Maybe followed by a finishing stone. (ILR?) If there is no such a thread, would someone be willing to take it on? I'm not saying that a new guy would lean how to hone like a pro. But it would be nice to start with a great edge to compare. Maybe have two edges—one as the shaver and the other not to use but to compare.

All you really need to get started is a razor, strop, brush, and soap. You can find A shave ready razor less than a hundred bucks (closer to 70 if you look), and a strop that will work can be had for within 30 bucks. I assume you would have a brush and soap.

You can shave for a while with just a razor and strop if you don’t mess up the edge. You would have a few months worth of shaving (assuming your new straight is just one of several razors in the usage mix) to figure out honing. Then you can send it off and have it honed, look for a barbers hone in good shape on eBay (I’ve seen them go for around $30 in good shape), or get lapping film. Or you may go whole hog and get hones. You won’t need the full gamut of hones to maintain an edge though. You can get started shaving for less than you think. I was intimidated by the entry price as well until a friend gave me guidance. And traded a pretty much shave ready razor to me.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@Alohawyatt, I started a thread that may help you out.

Top Bottom