What's new

Why Don't You Use A Straight Razor?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
My first 8 years of shaving was with a DE, the disposable/cartridge razors. Last year I took up shaving with a straight razor. After a bit of a learning curve, I'm now getting the comfiest, smoothest shaves I have ever had.

If you don't already use a straight razor (that includes shavette type), what's stopping you?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I would love to, unfortunately a SR gives a hard time to my fussy skin.. Also, if I comb with my left hand I almost poke my eye, imagine using a razor...
A straight razor used with proper technique gives nil skin irritation. Yes, it takes time and practice to develop proper technique.

I and many others shave successfully with a straight razor only in their dominant hand.

i like to shave and finish in 5 minutes or so.i dont like having to spend time stropping and honing and so forth.yes i tried i and did shave that way for awhile and the shaves were great but in my opinion no better for me than a double edge razor.john

I do have a couple of vintage straight razors plus a shavette and would love to use it more but the learning curve and especially the maintenance of getting it to shave ready is too time-consuming...for now. Yup, it's the honing &, etc part!!

If possible I will use the shavette on weekends but the vintage SRs, I am still unable to get it to shave ready as yet.
Perhaps when I retire in a few years...with more time...not now with the constant rushing for work.

Meanwhile, I am enjoying vintage DEs razors...

Start-up cost for an Edwin Jagger DE89, an overpiced set of 40 test blades, proraso shaving cream, brush: 45€. (It should be easy to pay half that).
Learning time to get an acceptable shave: 4 slow shaves, so around 1h.
Time spent maintening the razor/blades: not a single second.
Amount of cuts (not counting very small weepers): 0.

DE shaving is cheaper, easier, faster, safer than straight-razor shaving. It's the sweet-spot for me. Cartridges cost massively more (from less than 15€/year to more than 200€/year) while being neither easier nor faster and polluting more, electric shaving has a huge start-up cost and high yearly cost while being faster and easier.

Pivoting head razors that use disposable blades (broman, focus dynamic, etc) might be slightly better than DE shaving but I want to let the early adopters weed out the failures first.

+2

I think I could get the technique given time, but the additional time spent ensuring the blade edge is sharp enough to do the job and even more expensive equipment just seems like too much work. Whe I consider that I can just pop in a 12c blade and shave with it for a month it is a simple foolproof method for my shaving experience. For me, it would turn it into more work than man pampering.

Plus I enjoy the safety aspect of the safety razor blade system compared to a fully exposed 3" razor blade.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I think safety razors were a step forward, so that's what I use. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing, but I don't care. If I did ever go down that road it would be a shavette 100%. I like sharpening in general, but don't want to maintain a shaving edge and I'd likely go and add more stones to my collection and waste a bunch of time if I went with a true straight.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Simple. I do not find it relaxing!

When I DE shave, I (briefly) clear my mind of all thoughts; autopilot takes over. It's a meditation moment. As with zen calligraphy or archery, unconscious form does the actual shave.

A straight takes acute concentration, the direct opposite.

Given time and a ton of practice, one could zen shave with a straight. Right now I can't, but its a great goal.

AA

I’m watching videos and have done a few test areas.
It is the true no pressure shave.
I will continue to do patches while in FFFMM and then get serious about it.
Working on stropping, angle on my face and touch.

Maintenance and sharpening. Don't care to learn it and buy stones.

I can't see or believe the outcome of fhe shave will be any better or quicker. I'm in and out in 10min, so I can enjoy other things.

I've came close to going down that rabbit hole many times.

one reason would be time for honing, stropping, maintenance, etc.

the numero uno reason would be doubting my ability to acquire the skill of honing to a satisfactory level. I dont have a local mentor that would be able to help learn this skill.

camo

Top Bottom