What's new

Why Don't You Use A Straight Razor?

A kamasori type shavette ac or half de is still not my wishlist for touching up under the nose.
But but my main shave is done in the steam sauna without glasses or mirror somehow I like my 👃 and 👂 too much to attempt that with a straight.
So for now it will stay de/se

I’m a straight razor user and love it! I only use my straight razors on the weekends due to time constraints, so my DEs, SEs and injectors see action on weekdays.

Straight razors are not hard to use and maintain, but the learning curve is a challenge for many and I get that.

My weapon of choice this past two weeks of just getting started is the Vector SE razor. Really like it. However, I also started using the Feather SS shavette 'clone' fixed handle every few shaves. I really like it. I'm afraid standard straight razors require too much work to maintain for me at this time in my life.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
My weapon of choice this past two weeks of just getting started is the Vector SE razor. Really like it. However, I also started using the Feather SS shavette 'clone' fixed handle every few shaves. I really like it. I'm afraid standard straight razors require too much work to maintain for me at this time in my life.
Just keep using shavette. They are real straight razors, just not traditional ones. Exactly same method of shaving. I use them frequently.

Simple. I do not find it relaxing!

When I DE shave, I (briefly) clear my mind of all thoughts; autopilot takes over. It's a meditation moment. As with zen calligraphy or archery, unconscious form does the actual shave.

A straight takes acute concentration, the direct opposite.

Given time and a ton of practice, one could zen shave with a straight. Right now I can't, but its a great goal.

AA

This...

I do not feel learned enough to pick one that will not be a waste of my money. I am leery of not being able to sharpen (hone, strop, whatever) one well enough to have a clean comfortable shave. I will eventually try a shavette and likely a traditional straight. I really like the idea of the Gold Dollar razors I have seen some using and posting about. For me, I just need plenty of time to ponder, research, and mull over the options and then make a decision I still end up regretting LOL

I started wetshaving seven years ago. The first year with Merkur DE, followed by 6 years using straight razors. For the past year, I have been using the the Kai non-fodling holder. I'm almost done selling off all my straights, stones and strops. The Schick P-30 blades give me 14 shaves per blade. They are smoother and sharper than straight razors I have honed or had professional honing services provide.

Brutal shave irritation is still just a little too fresh in my memory. I admittedly feel a bit of an itch for a shavette though...
I really like this $10 shavette off of Amazon. It's a remarkable quality for the price, paired with a good blade, it's a great shave! It's also returnable, which the Feather is not. It's a no lose trial.
To be totally honest, I'm still honing my skills with it, learning to use my left hand, getting the tricky spots on the chin and around Adam, but it's a quick learn on the cheeks, jaw line, and sides of the throat.
I do still use my Vector for touch ups in the above mentioned tricky areas to avoid cuts and irritation.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Thank you! Another plus, both razors, the Vector and shavette, use the same blade! Just ordered 60 Schick P-30's that should last me a while.
I would say so! 120 half blades with three or four shaves on each half. You’re set for a long time. Even though I’ve got quite a lot of straight razors, I find my shavette rather addictive. If I could only have one straight razor, it would be my Parker.

Wow, reading through this thread I am stunned by the misconceptions, bad assumptions and outright superstitions surrounding SR shaving. I in no way desire to offend or condecend to my DE brethren, whom I respect greatly but I would like to clear a few things up. First SR s are not hard to maintain. If you start off with a professionally honed razor, have good stropping technique and strop before every shave (it only takes 20 seconds) you only need to do a touch up on a 8,000 grit stone maybe once every 60-70 shaves. No need to reset the bevel unless you have abused the razor. Yes it is true that shaving with your non-dominant hand feels strange, and a little shakey at first. You can easily build up strength and dexterity in that hand by brushing your hair with it instead of using your dominant hand. In two months your strength and dexterity will be very close to your dominant hand (but never quite as good). As far as cost goes, a professionally honed Gold Dollar 208 will set you back about $30.00 and it will shave as good as any entry level SR from Germany. Once you get good at it, a double pass shave will take about ten minutes. There are many advantages to a SR shave. Compared to any replaceable blade razor, one of the biggest is the consistency from shave to shave. You are not maintaining the blade edge with a disposable blade razor, unless you have a Vallet Auto Strop. Thus every shave feels different as the blade wears and you have to change pressure to compensate. With a SR, the blade edge is maintained from shave to shave so the razor feels the same every time. You never have to push, and almost no pressure is required so you can really focus on angle. It's all you have to pay attention to.

Easy peasy!

I think shaving with a straight is good to try. -Just for the whole new learning experience and for the appreciation of those who regularly shave with a SR.

I tried it for that reason, but for me, with my 'copper wire' stubble it was just too time consuming and the blood shed in learning new angles and techniques I felt was just not worth it. Nevertheless, I take my 'hat off' to all you guys who shave regularly with a straight -as it looks like a very satisfying type of shaving which I do enjoy watching more so now, I've tried it myself.

'Nothing ventured nothing gained.'

I really like this $10 shavette off of Amazon. It's a remarkable quality for the price, paired with a good blade, it's a great shave! It's also returnable, which the Feather is not. It's a no lose trial.
To be totally honest, I'm still honing my skills with it, learning to use my left hand, getting the tricky spots on the chin and around Adam, but it's a quick learn on the cheeks, jaw line, and sides of the throat.
I do still use my Vector for touch ups in the above mentioned tricky areas to avoid cuts and irritation.

Maybe--MAYBE--after wedding season!

Top Bottom