What's new

Why carbon blades shave me BBS and not cause me irritation?

I recently tried Treet Black Beauties, Treet Dura Sharp, Treet Falcon. All of them shaved me very close and without irritation. Only difference i found. How blade feel on the skin and sharpness difference. To better understand. I have very short, thin and strong (pitch black color) stubble that grows only on certain parts of the face. Feather is one of my favorite blades. Carbon steel shave as close as Feather. How? I'm in slight bewilderment. Because in comparison with stainless steel. Most of them cause me discomfort and shaves not as close as Feather. I'm not getting a huge irritation as it was in the past. I'm a lot more expirienced as it was two years ago, when i started out. But even with my experience. I'm still getting few "burn spots" with stainless steel blade. Why it's so drastic difference between two types of steels? Maybe metallurgist can answer my question?

Interesting. I tried Treet Black Beauty carbon steel blades a few years ago and it was not a good experience. Of the 30 brands I've tried, it was easily the worst. It was like shaving with tweezers it tugged so much.

I guess that's why they say YMMV!

I think it has less to do with the metallurgy, and more to do with bevels, etc.

I did some quick Wikipedia research on the subject a couple of months ago and all I found out was that carbon steel is the preferred metal for a lot of knives, so long as you can take care of it. It is easy to sharpen and holds a good edge compared to stainless steel knives.

How this translates into something the size of a razor blade, I'm not sure. All I know is they rust, and I'd rather not deal with that.

The only CS blade that I've tried is a Treet Carbon Steel (I've heard that these have been confirmed to be the same as Treet Classic by the manufacturer). I liked the shaves. To compare, I do not like Feather.

Tough to argue with success! Glad you found something that really works! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Carbon steel is not my favorite, but that’s me.

Tough to argue with success! Glad you found something that really works! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Carbon steel is not my favorite, but that’s me.
Same here. I hate them. Recently an ebay seller sent me a pack of Treet Carbon blades with a razor. It was advertised in the listing only that "a pack of blades" will be added. What was my disappointment, when I saw those Treets. When you advertise something as a part of the listing you should at least make the effort to send stainless blades.

I'm not sure it will answer your question but here's a quick overview of the differences between high carbon steel versus stainless steel: What’s the Difference Between Stainless Steel and Carbon Steel?

Executive Summary:
  • Stainless steel has a high chromium content which acts as a protective layer against corrosion and rust.
  • Carbon steel is high in carbon that when exposed to moisture can corrode and rust quickly.
  • Carbon steel is stronger and more durable then stainless steel.

I've used a Treet Classic the past 4 shaves, and I'm very pleased with the performance so far. I figured I would have run into trouble at this point, but no not at all. All I've been doing is taking it out of the razor and drying it off, and leaving it out.

I'd say right now it's in my top 3 favorite blades for sure. It's too bad they rust, and there's an extra step in the process to mitigate it, but so far it's been worth the trouble in my opinion.

Treet Durasharp ( carbons ) used to be some of my favorite blades from a smoothness and comfort standpoint. I basically quit using them because I disliked getting 3 shaves max from them before they rusted.

congrat's on your success with the carbon steel blades!

i tried to shave once with a vintage carbon steel blade, and it was over after first stroke!
perhaps due to rapid oxidation of the edge on carbon steel.
morale, use any carbon blade before it gets any age!

gillette blue blade-MD4_4926s.jpg

I had wonderful success with a Treet Black Beauty sent to me my a member here. I was surprised for it to be as smooth as my regular blade (GWS). I don’t know how the longevity of carbon steel blades are but definitely glad I tried this one!

Note: I could see visual burring, with the naked eye, so I did cork the blade before use. Three light swipes through a real tree cork and the edge came to a much more even metallic sheen to the hone of the blade.

There is also the issue of the quality of the carbon steel. The Treet are made in Pakistan, and they probably not with the highest quality steel.

If I recall, Feather makes a carbon steel blade in Japan, and that's definitely a blade I'm interested to try one of these days.

I'm not sure it will answer your question but here's a quick overview of the differences between high carbon steel versus stainless steel: What’s the Difference Between Stainless Steel and Carbon Steel?

Executive Summary:
  • Stainless steel has a high chromium content which acts as a protective layer against corrosion and rust.
  • Carbon steel is high in carbon that when exposed to moisture can corrode and rust quickly.
  • Carbon steel is stronger and more durable then stainless steel.
Interesting article, but something not mentioned there is that stainless steel also often has a high nickel content, which some people have a sensitivity to. I don't expect that's the OPs issue, but can't rule it out.

Reactions: nav
Top Bottom