What's new

Why are shaves after “a few days off” so much better, smoother, easier?

I think it's just your perception for the most part rather than fact. When you wait a few days you get more feedback as there is more hair to come off. The results are more striking.

I shave everyday and unless I screw up (can happen) my face isn't irritated after a shave so waiting extra days doesn't make it any better.

When I use a straight razor I do usually skip a day but again, that's just because I get better feedback (more hair to come off).

Its very interesting to read that many of you need 36 hours between. I really don’t want to wait more than 24 (for looks and HOBBY), so I’m gonna make a conscious effort to lighten my touch even more and see if that helps

Its very interesting to read that many of you need 36 hours between. I really don’t want to wait more than 24 (for looks and HOBBY), so I’m gonna make a conscious effort to lighten my touch even more and see if that helps
I usually shave my head twice a day. Just prefer it smooth and it doesn't bother me.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

because when your facial hair is little bit longer the safety bar tends to bend it easier and the blade does better job cutting them. Every day shave will not allow you this, nor every 5 days shave.

For me it’s purely psychological. After laying off from shaving for as little as two days, the constant rubbing of my chin, “faceturbating” if you will, of that increasing, hideous growth any shave afterwards will feel like the best shave evah.
Of course in the spring and summer, that increasing, hideous grey growth sticks out like a sore thumb against my sunburnt reddish face!

For me it’s purely psychological. After laying off from shaving for as little as two days, the constant rubbing of my chin, “faceturbating” if you will, of that increasing, hideous growth any shave afterwards will feel like the best shave evah.
Of course in the spring and summer, that increasing, hideous grey growth sticks out like a sore thumb against my sunburnt reddish face!
With 28 hours' growth now on my phiz, I agree: The 36-hour shave feels better because you've been as bristly as a wild hog for the last 12!

I rarely skip a day, but when I do, I love the shave I get. When my skin needs a rest, sometimes I'll simply do a good-enough-for-work single-pass shave, or I'll shave at night before day 1's shave, then shave in the morning before day 2.

It’s sometimes hard to fight the urge to go beyond “reduction” during a pass. That likely adds to it. That said, I rarely get weepers, so the cue may be missing.

I agree that taking a day off helps, likely a combination of the skin regenerating and the hair being at a length where the razor works more efficiently.

I have dark hair and light skin, but my beard is not particularly coarse. That being said, I still have that bluish tint to my skin even after a shave. I usually max out at 3 passes and don't really chase BBS anymore. Not worth the itchy neck when I screw it up :).

I shaved last night after 36 hours with my '62 Slim set on 5, 3, 1, and a combo of TOBS Sandalwood and Col. Conk Santa Fe Cedar. It went well, but I felt a bit of irritation for a short while afterward. Perhaps my beard really requires the hot shower routine before the shave to really hydrate the bristles. My next shave is slated for Thursday morning, when I do shower; I'll see how that goes.

I shaved last night after 36 hours with my '62 Slim set on 5, 3, 1, and a combo of TOBS Sandalwood and Col. Conk Santa Fe Cedar. It went well, but I felt a bit of irritation for a short while afterward. Perhaps my beard really requires the hot shower routine before the shave to really hydrate the bristles. My next shave is slated for Thursday morning, when I do shower; I'll see how that goes.

Well all I can say is that sometimes I cant dind ryhme or reason for things as I waited 48 hours, shaves after the shower and got irritation, lol.

I shave Sunday through Thursday in the morning, then shave Friday night as a relaxation long shave usually with a fresh blade then skip Saturday. Usually Sunday I want a smoother 2nd shave blade type of shave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shave Sunday through Thursday in the morning, then shave Friday night as a relaxation long shave usually with a fresh blade then skip Saturday. Usually Sunday I want a smoother 2nd shave blade type of shave.

I like the idea of a relaxing Friday night shave. I’m gonna have to try that!

I like the idea of a relaxing Friday night shave. I’m gonna have to try that!

I find my technique and skin does better everyday shaving. But the Friday night one is the one I look forward too the most. It usually includes a Lavender type soap.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I like to shave everyday if possible, if I decide to use a aggressive razor or blade and the Alum indicates a little to close in some spots, I like to follow the next day possibly with a mild razor that will just give me a DFS with no or minimal skin removal.

Better this morning, I think because I shaved ('56 Red Tip, new GSB blade, Sherlock soap) after my shower. If I continue this 36-hour routine tomorrow, I'll need to take a quick shower after coming home and before applying blade to face.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I suspect it depends on your beard, your skin and your technique.

My shaves get more uncomfortable the longer the interval in terms of the beard, but the skin likes it.

If you have a beard like a 12 year old boy I imagine the longer the interval the better - but you're not that lucky.

I find that for me shaving every other day is best. That being said this past week I was quite ill and didn't shave at all. When I shaved once I was feeling better (unshaven about four days) felt like one of the best shaves I've ever had. My particular theory is that for those who prefer to be clean shaven at all times it is a combination of the skin and skin oils regenerating as well as greater feed back giving greater psychological satisfaction with the shave.

Since I shave my head as well, I find that shaving at least once per week is necessary but I prefer every three days there. I find that on my scalp that I require the hair to be slightly longer for the razor to work efficiently.

I prefer to shave everyday, but if I skip a day next shave does feel better. Usually I will skip a day on the weekend if I am not going anywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom