What's new

Who Uses Blade Dispensers?

Correct, but not in that style, at least not in the US that I've ever seen. They look like this:
View attachment 1116660

Dorcos come in similar dispensers at Dollar General. Personally I'd hold out for the Personnas, but YMMV.

Most of my blades are in dispensers, but that is because I have got into the habit of buying vintage Spoilers and Platinum Plus blades when I find them at reasonable prices. That pairs nicely with my Gillette adjustables.
A local grocery store has these.

Correct, but not in that style, at least not in the US that I've ever seen. They look like this:
View attachment 1116660

Dorcos come in similar dispensers at Dollar General. Personally I'd hold out for the Personnas, but YMMV.

Most of my blades are in dispensers, but that is because I have got into the habit of buying vintage Spoilers and Platinum Plus blades when I find them at reasonable prices. That pairs nicely with my Gillette adjustables.

I guess you lost me. What’s the difference between the vintage and the one in picture you posted above? I’ve not used any vintage blades so i’m not familiar with anything but the modern ones.

I guess you lost me. What’s the difference between the vintage and the one in picture you posted above? I’ve not used any vintage blades so i’m not familiar with anything but the modern ones.

The picture I posted is not of vintage blades. That is how Personna's private label blades are packaged now. Example

Except that the ones I bought there a couple months ago were marked Made In Germany instead of Made In Israel, for reasons that have been discussed ad nauseum on this board.

I went slightly off topic in discussing vintage blades.

M

Member 113878

FWIW, and I sorry for being somewhat off-topic, but I think we already have too much plastic stuff all around.
I know it can be recycled, but there's an environmental cost to produce plastic from petroleum.
Have a nice day, guys.

FWIW, and I sorry for being somewhat off-topic, but I think we already have too much plastic stuff all around.
I know it can be recycled, but there's an environmental cost to produce plastic from petroleum.
Have a nice day, guys.

I’ve been reloading old dispensers made in the 1950s and 1960s so they never get thrown away. I only buy blades sold in cardboard packets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

M

Member 113878

No problem with that.
I just wish the blade makers don’t switch to plastic containers.

If you check your local CVS, supermarkets and such the store branded Personna’s often still come in the blade dispensers.

View attachment 1116649
Those are the actual branded Personna’s but the store brands are identical as far as the dispensers are concerned.
Exactly what are these Personnas called? The 99¢ Store also sells these. The pkg says stainless steel blades, and the back of the pkg says they're made in Israel. Actual Israeli Reds are Platinum Blades.

Doing a left vs Right side shave comparing these with Personna Platinums, they perform nearly as well.

Not I.

I've never really thought about refilling a dispenser before. I would think that DE blades would store better in their original packaging (unless they got wet) so I don't think I would try it unless I had some blade pack that were damaged.

In the past I have used blade dispensers as blade banks to safely dispose used blades but have since started using empty medicine bottles.

Last edited:
Top Bottom