What's new

Who Uses Blade Dispensers?

Over the years I’ve accumulated a number of blade dispensers. Each hold 10 blades so I’ve enough capacity for over a year. Once a year I unwrap 50 blades, clean off the glue using acetone and put 10 random blades in each dispenser.
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't re-use dispensers but enjoy the nostalgia of using blades that came in dispensers originally.

Since I use vintage blades only, about 90% of them are in dispensers. But back when I used modern blades I would also reload old dispensers with new blades. The Gillette models were the easiest to disasemble and reasemble. Literally a snap. I liked the idea of minimizing my handling of such sharp items so early in the morning. Of course that applies more so to TTO razors.

Since I use vintage blades only, about 90% of them are in dispensers. But back when I used modern blades I would also reload old dispensers with new blades. The Gillette models were the easiest to disasemble and reasemble. Literally a snap. I liked the idea of minimizing my handling of such sharp items so early in the morning. Of course that applies more so to TTO razors.

Why would it apply more to TTO razors than a 3 piece?

Forgive the question if I seem out of line. I'm new to using DE razors.

It is easier to load a TTO from a dispenser as you hook one end over the centre bar and draw the blade out of the dispenser. Not so easy to do that with two pin location systems.
View attachment 1116261
And with a three piece razor you have to hold a small top plate putting the fingers of that hand closer to the action not to mention it's harder to get a good grip on. But the dispensers are still advantageous in that you still handle the blade less.

It is easier to load a TTO from a dispenser as you hook one end over the centre bar and draw the blade out of the dispenser. Not so easy to do that with two pin location systems.
View attachment 1116261

Thank you for that information.
I guess most blade manufacturers have eliminated them for cost savings.
Now I will have to check the drug stores for dispenser packs.
The VDH blades that the walmart carries come in a dispenser, but they are individually paper wrapped.

No chance of finding them in stores these days but you may find new old stock. Some members reload them.
Derby , Feather and Wilkinson Sword, to name three, use the plastic tucks but those blades are individually wrapped.

The VDH blades that the walmart carries come in a dispenser, but they are individually paper wrapped.
A couple of years ago (no more than five) Sally Beauty had the Personna Platinum blades in a thumb-dispenser. I bought a pack then, but haven't been back in almost as long. I also have a fairly new thumb-dispenser pack of German Wilkinson blades.

Tom

No chance of finding them in stores these days but you may find new old stock. Some members reload them.
Derby , Feather and Wilkinson Sword, to name three, use the plastic tucks but those blades are individually wrapped.

Bummer.. thanks for the info

Tim

I remember before I went over to vintage blades exclusively modern Schick models still came in a dispenser and it's a decent blade. I cant remember where I got them but google Schick double edge razor blades

If you check your local CVS, supermarkets and such the store branded Personna’s often still come in the blade dispensers.

1592876959640.jpeg

Those are the actual branded Personna’s but the store brands are identical as far as the dispensers are concerned.

If you check your local CVS, supermarkets and such the store branded Personna’s often still come in the blade dispensers.

View attachment 1116649
Those are the actual branded Personna’s but the store brands are identical as far as the dispensers are concerned.

Correct, but not in that style, at least not in the US that I've ever seen. They look like this:
1592877127585.png

Dorcos come in similar dispensers at Dollar General. Personally I'd hold out for the Personnas, but YMMV.

Most of my blades are in dispensers, but that is because I have got into the habit of buying vintage Spoilers and Platinum Plus blades when I find them at reasonable prices. That pairs nicely with my Gillette adjustables.

Top Bottom