What's new

Who here uses a VacPot?

One of these types of guys. I have one and love it. Have a vintage one in transit to me too. I'm curious to see how many others on this board us a syphon coffee maker
$yama-coffee-siphon-vacuum-pot.jpg

I used to use 2 frequently - an inexpensive stovetop vaccum pot named Yama (highly recommended as its' cheap and resilient - the one you posted is also a Yama but is obviously their lamp version - haven't used that model but I loved the stove top)

and I also had a Cona lamp version- which is about 4X the price of the Yama. I recommend it if you decide vacuum brewing is for you as it's truly a beautiful piece of workmanship

but that Yama lamp version looks great. there is no finer method of brewing!

alas, I'm not much of a coffee roaster, brewer or drinker these days

I used to use the Bodum french presses - no experience with them in vaccum breweing, but I would assume they would be nice.

think if the OP needs to figure out if they want an alcohol lamp (which will take longer to brew but ensures the perfect brewing temperature, hence the perfect cup) or a stove pot model.

I do, though not regularly. I have a stove top Bodum Santos and a Hario TCA-2 with a butane burner (more flame control than the alcohol burner that it comes with).

I LOVE my TCA-2. The only price you could offer that I would take is enough to buy 2 to replace it.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I have a vintage Cory that was found NIB at a relatives home when family was cleaning it out after she moved into a nursing home. I've picked up some extra rods when I find them for a good price at antique stores, and recently picked up a second Cory encase I ever have to replace the globe or carafe.

I've owned my five cup Hario Deco syphon for over a decade and I use it nearly every day.

$488_deco5.jpg

I use to use the paper filter disks and then I switched to the cloth filter, which worked well.

But I finally settled on a vintage Cory glass filter rod and a butane burner. I've enjoyed many
wonderful cups since then.

$harioburner.jpg

I've owned my five cup Hario Deco syphon for over a decade and I use it nearly every day.

View attachment 278011

I use to use the paper filter disks and then I switched to the cloth filter, which worked well.

But I finally settled on a vintage Cory glass filter rod and a butane burner. I've enjoyed many
wonderful cups since then.

View attachment 278012

Beautiful Hario! I have the standard 5-cup Hario and just got my Nicro stovetop from ebay today. I just found out that those Nicro 500s work on an induction stove! Yay!!!

Where did you get your butane burner? I've found a few but they're pretty pricey.

I regularly use a Yama 8 cup stove top vac pot with a Pyrex lock-in glass filter rod for coffee on the weekends. I also have a Vintage Silex vac pot with a bit of a gasket issue and an electric base that I found separately. I like the coffee that this brew method makes and I'm usually found at the stove fixing breakfast and making a vac pot almost every weekend.

$lr8wy.jpg
Yama 8 funnel with Pyrex lock in glass filter rod

$cbac6c96dc5611e19af412313813ffcb_7.jpg
Vintage Silex pot with electric base

Attachments

• $8a3f4a6c059111e2af9022000a1c9e2c_7.jpg
    $8a3f4a6c059111e2af9022000a1c9e2c_7.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 59
I have a collection of vacuum pots from a Silex 2 cup to several Nicro 12 cup Model 1512 stainless steel stove top units. Also other sizes of Cory and Silex pyrex glass units. One of the Nicro 1512 units is used daily with the standard twin metal disc Nicro filter. I also have most other Nicro stove top models from the 6 cup model 246 (a rare one) through multiple 8 cup units and the model 510 ten cup unit. The Nicro filter does an outstanding job with no mud when I use my Capresso burr grinder which produces minimal fines and a very consistent grind. I literally have not had a stall during brewing draw down in years. I weigh the coffee and measure water volume when brewing.

Nicro1512-J3.JPG
Nicro1512-J1.JPG

At my age I prefer the stainless steel ones as they are a lot more rugged than glass and I have not noticed any metallic taste to the coffee as long as the stainless steel is kept clean. Due to not being transparent I have seen metal pots so filthy inside I was amazed that anyone would be willing to use them without poisoning themselves. I do remember stories that metal pots needed "seasoning" and should not be cleaned but rancid coffee oils do not IMO make for good coffee.

I have a Cona tabletop unit which I use a butane burner and a Silex which came with an electric burner.

I have a couple of Conas, both the older design that looks like assembled from chemistry lab parts and the newer style. Also several glass Silex and Cory units with the electric stoves. So far for display only as the stainless steel ones from Nicro, Cory and Silex are so much more rugged. I even have a special model that Nicro made for Montgomery Ward and a stainless steel Solar-Sturgess.

Top Bottom