What's new

Who has livestock?

OK, I guess pets could be considered livestock, but that isn't what I mean.

I mean livestock to produce protein for eating; poultry, beef critters, goats, sheep, whatever. You get the idea. Just kick it around.

I'll start it.

Last Easter, BTW, that timing wasn't planned it just happened, we got 25 Buff Orpington chickens (straight run [unsexed chicks] ). Actually we bought 50, but split the 50 with a friend. Out of that we got 9 layers, and kept 2 roosters. The others I butchered. The hens began laying in late September thereabouts, and have been laying right along. During warm weather we'd get between 4-7 eggs a day, there was a drop off in egg production during the winter to maybe 1/2 to 2/3s that rate. During warm spells it picks up again.

Since these birds are heritage birds, the breed is an all purpose bird circa 1900, they should go broody and hatch chicks to keep the cycle going. That means more hens for replacement layers when that's required, and more cull birds for meat, whichever birds we don't want passing on their genes. Next winter I'd like to keep at least 10-12 hens, and 2 roosters works OK if they get along passably.

More on roosters: We have a dominant rooster and one that the dominant rooster doesn't like to give "ground space" to. The lesser rooster stays on the roost and on a small walkway, but he actually gets pampered by me. He was my buddy before being cooped up for the winter. He just gets less satisfaction from the hens, but gets his treats delivered. Our birds have it pretty good.

Back to the story... The butchered birds have meat so unbelievably delicious there is no comparison to store bought chicken. We haven't been able to buy a factory bird since we tasted our chickens. We're just not accustomed to chicken w/o flavor or texture. Excuse me... we still like KFC, but that has flavor because of the herbs and spices, not because of the chicken.

Oh, and the eggs... until you have a really fresh egg from hens with good feed, you haven't really had an egg. In the summer, the egg yolks are orange, not yellow. And when fried the yolks are like little balls stting in the white, and they taste really good. This isn't really important, but a characteristic of the eggs. You almost need a chisle to open them. OK, that's an exaggeration, but they do have pretty tough shells. Much thicker and tougher shells than eggs from the egg factories.

OK, so what do you have for livestock? Tell us about it, take it where ever you want it to go.

I don't have livestock but my wife's step-father is a dairy farmer, so he's got a couple hundred cows to milk and feed. it sounds like grueling work - up at the crack of dawn and working until 9pm. I never knew what hard work was until I met my wife's step-father.

as for the wife and I, I've talked to her about wanting to start our own goat farm, mainly for their milk (which can also be made into cheese and soap, etc). I don't think i'd want to raise goats just for their meat because 1) it doesn't strike me as very profitable and 2) I'd probably be the one doing the slaughtering and I that doesn't sit well with me. hunting is one thing but lining a bunch of goats up and butchering them where they stand is another. anyway, I got the idea last summer when the wife and I went to the zoo and they had a farm exhibit with goats. they were incredibly friendly and easy going so I thought maybe it wouldn't be so bad raising them on a hobby farm somewhere. it's just a pipe dream at the point cuz we don't have the land or the money to buy goats.

I currently have 3 hens all of which lay. One of them I'd a rhode island red and the other two I am not sure ofthe breed. I have space for 7 more but don't want to buy chicks as we cannot keep roosters due to the noise. This brings me to slaughtering, we have had 3 or 4 roosters all of which we have given away because my brother didn't want to. The eggs from the hens are awesome as you have said but I wish I had a few more birds.

As for goats I've wanted a pigmy goat but don't think I could invest the time.

I currently have 3 hens all of which lay. One of them I'd a rhode island red and the other two I am not sure ofthe breed. I have space for 7 more but don't want to buy chicks as we cannot keep roosters due to the noise. This brings me to slaughtering, we have had 3 or 4 roosters all of which we have given away because my brother didn't want to. The eggs from the hens are awesome as you have said but I wish I had a few more birds.

As for goats I've wanted a pigmy goat but don't think I could invest the time.

You will be able to tell the roosters from the hens long before they begin crowing. So don't let that stop you from more hens. Too, you don't need to order a straight run, you can get them sexed and they have over a 90% success ratio. They are just slightly more expensive as sexed chicks. There is one outfit that will ship just a few chicks. (mypetchicken.com ?)

We went with a straight run only because I thought it was more ethical than running the unwanted males up the conveyer to the blender to be turned into "chicken meal" for dog food. At least our way got them a few good months of really good life, a quick end, and furnished us with many fantastic dinners. BTW, my wife doesn't even want to be outside when I'm slaughtering chickens, but she loves the meat. I do a few each time and I've done enough for the day.

Our neighbor has a pygmy goat. She wants to milk it, he wants it to die. She loves it's antics, he sees it's antics as an affront to his authority. I think it's pretty funny. He'll do something to keep it from climbing and the goat just looks at it as a puzzle to be solved. The goat has all day and hasn't been unsuccessful yet. :lol: That just infuriates him even more. Goats will live a long time. :biggrin1:

Last edited:
No livestock, but we started buying our meats from a local butcher who gets his product from local farms. Much, much better than the stuff from the grocery stores, and it's the same price if you buy the various bundles that he has.

For $59, you get some steaks, cubed steaks, ground hamburger, sausage, chicken, a roast. The meat tastes great. And there are other bundles too.

I have wild boar on my property which I shoot on occasion. I do not care for them, but inadvertantly feed them with my garden, so I guess you might consider them livestock.

My neighbor has a couple pygmy goats, fun to have around and the kids love 'em.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I don't have livestock but my wife's step-father is a dairy farmer, so he's got a couple hundred cows to milk and feed. it sounds like grueling work - up at the crack of dawn and working until 9pm. I never knew what hard work was until I met my wife's step-father.
It was dairy farmers that invented the concept of "VACATION" ... from the Spanish word "VACA" meanind "COW" and the English word "SHUN" meaning "To AVOID."

As you say, cows are high maintenance creatures. You need to take care of them from pretty much 24/7/365.

Horses, pigs and goats can fend for themselves. If you're a corn or wheat or tomato farmer, you just plant it in the spring and come back months later to harvest. But you have to stay with those cows round the clock, all day, every day.

So when a farmer got some free time to leave the farm, he called it a VACA-SHUN ... literally meaning "Avoiding the Cows."

we used to raise chickens, ducks and rabbits. Had to quit 5 years ago when the wife was diagnosed with breast cancer. She's cancer free 5 years now, and is talking about getting back into chickens. Not sure I'm ready for that again, but the eggs are incredible.

I've always wanted to keep a couple of goats as pets. Living in an apartment doesn't allow for this, but maybe someday......

My parents have 3 cows some geese and are getting some chickens.
But they do it so they can get lower property taxes where they live.

But she also has a skunk or two and some little foxes the size of small dogs that love dog biscuits. Well the one that lived under her deck did as well as her pups

You will be able to tell the roosters from the hens long before they begin crowing. So don't let that stop you from more hens. Too, you don't need to order a straight run, you can get them sexed and they have over a 90% success ratio. They are just slightly more expensive as sexed chicks. There is one outfit that will ship just a few chicks. (mypetchicken.com ?)

We went with a straight run only because I thought it was more ethical than running the unwanted males up the conveyer to the blender to be turned into "chicken meal" for dog food. At least our way got them a few good months of really good life, a quick end, and furnished us with many fantastic dinners. BTW, my wife doesn't even want to be outside when I'm slaughtering chickens, but she loves the meat. I do a few each time and I've done enough for the day.

Our neighbor has a pygmy goat. She wants to milk it, he wants it to die. She loves it's antics, he sees it's antics as an affront to his authority. I think it's pretty funny. He'll do something to keep it from climbing and the goat just looks at it as a puzzle to be solved. The goat has all day and hasn't been unsuccessful yet. :lol: That just infuriates him even more. Goats will live a long time. :biggrin1:

Our two batches of chicks that we got were sexed but ended up being like 50/50 :mad3: so i'm a little skeptical. I will check out that site though because now that you've mentioned it if i want to get some more itll have to be before the summer comes.

Ahhhh I looked at the site and I want a silkie so bad! lol

Last edited:
We did the chickens thing but never really ate much of the meat so we gave them away after we butchered them. We have cattle (had 75 head but sold a bunch) have had them for a very long time. Real beef is the best also btw. Calving in the cold Canadian winters isnt fun especially when you are barried up to your shoulders in the cow to find the calves feet and its -30C outside. I am however really glad that we now use large(1000+lbs) round bailes. Pitching 5000+ small square bales (~70lbs each) was never that fun in +30 weather lol. All in a days work and wouldnt trade it for the world.

We have pygmy goats, mini pot bellied pigs, chickens, ducks, peacocks, turkeys, and horses. I love tending the farm and your right those fresh eggs are great. Getting time to add a cow or two.

Top Bottom