What's new

Who else loves wet shaving, but doesn't like vintage products?

I'm not anti-old as such. I just have a preference for newer unmolested kit. My search for vintage Gillettes has turned up some truly horrid kit that has seen better days.

Right now I'm very much vested in Above The Tie razors and my Timeless razors.

FWIW I'm waiting on a 1978 109 Super Adjustable. My first one cost a small fortune and turned out to be a Potato Peeler.

I specifically have chosen to go the 'modern' way vs vintage. I'm not a 'collector' and only have two razors, a Game Changer 84-P SB and a Lupo .95 SB. I like how they're CNC machined and made of 316L stainless-steel. Modern manufacturing and modern materials that's what I like.

b/r

ON_1

But that is precisely what fascinates me about vintage razors.

The fact that they did not have computer aided design and advanced machining techniques, yet mass-produced razors that still deliver a fantastic shave 80 years later...and at a fraction of the cost.

I can get the same (high) quality shave from any of my vintage Gillette razors that I achieve with my Razorock, Henson, Karve, Feather, etc. While I do appreciate the aesthetic beauty of a modern, machined razor, in actual use I see no practical benefit of modern over vintage.

Beauty & Hype sell modern stuff well, but like the guy said above. Vintage works well with modern blades, or vintage G-Brand BlueBlades.

Funny thing is. NIB VINTAGE NOS FATBOY WILL set you back as much as New Super Razor.

I only own one vintage piece that I purchased when I started classic shaving some 11 years back. 1979 Z-1 Gillette Flare tip. I break it out on my birthday if I remember. Otherwise it’s just a display piece.

I have 0 preference between the two. If it can hold a blade I'll try it. Both old and new have given me outstanding shaves

What's even better is when I can mix the two together. Like this one.
full

PAA Meta-4 Brass top cap, Pre-war Canadian Tech baseplate, 3.25" PAA brass flair tip

What makes something vintage? Does it have to be a certain number of years old?
I believe it is 50 years plus, although there are significant numbers of razors in production designed before this period, so technically they are vintages, or vintage designed moderns.

The Merkur Progress first released in 1955 is still in production, as are other types from different makers.

There are also remakes of classic designs, like the recently produced (2022-3) Gibbs adjustable, originating from a 1930's French razor.

The Yaqi Final Cut adjustable is a close Gibbs based design.

personally I love vintages, which make up 95% of my collection!

Last edited:
Top Bottom