What's new

Which sample pack to try?

I'm still pretty new to double edge shaving. I've been shaving about a month with blue bird blades. It's about time for me to buy a pack of blades. I want to buy a sampler pack but there are so many choices. I don't want to spend too much money but I don't want to miss out on the blade that works best for me. In particular I'd like to make sure I can try a feather and a derby anything else I'm not positive about. Any recommendations? Maybe a site with free shipping?

I am very pleased with the Extended Sampler from West Coast Shaving. All sorts of good blades.

One suggestion: don't jump around too fast; work through a few blades of each brand in order, paying attention to sharpness, smoothness, tugging, endurance, etc.

I say mix up 4 or 5 cheaper blades and 3 or 4 premium ones. If the cheap ones work well enough for you, there you go! Buy a 100. If not, find the premium one that suits you.

I'd say Astra SP, Shark SS, Rapira Swedish SS, Voskhod, Gillette Silver Blue, and the Feather that you asked for. Maybe throw in Personna Lab Blue and one of the 7 O'Clocks (based on BB comments, probably the Yellow).

Shriike,
If you have a USA mailing address, shoot me a PM and let me know what blades you have already tried. I have more than I can use in the next 10 years and would like to help you out with a sampler.

Shriike has an assortment on the way to him as I type this.

What I consider to be 10 very good blades. If he can't find something in this pack that works he must be an alien. :laugh:
Astra SP, Personna Blue, Personna Red, Feather, Gillette SB, 7 O'clock Yellow, 7 O'clock Black, Perma Sharp, Polsilver SI, and Voskhod

I am very pleased with the Extended Sampler from West Coast Shaving. All sorts of good blades.

One suggestion: don't jump around too fast; work through a few blades of each brand in order, paying attention to sharpness, smoothness, tugging, endurance, etc.
+1 ... WSC is a well respected vendor and their Sampler Packs are good value. An excellent assortment of blades. The Extended pack is what I started with, and I'm quite happy with the way it turned out.

You can't really tell about a blade by trying it once. You should get at least a 5-pack and use 2 in a row, then put it away and move on to something else. After you've been through 2 blades of each pack in the sampler, you'll have a good idea about what you prefer, and which ones don't work for you.

About the Feathers: This a great blade, but notoriously finicky about working terrific in some razors and not so hot in others. I find that Feathers work best for me in Slant razors, and that's the only place I use them. Don't rule out the Feathers just because you get bad results in a Slim or a Merkur HD ... you have to experiment and find the right razor to pair it with.

About Derbys: My favorite blade for day-to-day shaving. For me, it works best in a Merkur 34, and it is my choice to tackle a 1-day beard. You can still use it with a week's worth of stubble, you just have to do more passes.

The best all-around blade I've found is the AstraSP. This one performs well no matter what razor I put it in or what condition my beard is. There are plenty of blades that will out-perform it for specific conditions, but for a general purpose, drop-it-in-and-run-with-it blade, AstraSP can't be beat.

Advice from a cheapskate:

1) pick a vendor that works for you (ordering from different countries can get expensive with additional duties, brokerage fees, etc.)

2) take a look at what blades are available in bulk and their price (getting hooked on a blade you can't buy in bulk can get expensive)

3) decide what you are willing to spend per 100 blades

4) favor trying blades in your price range per 100 (ratio between sample pack cost per blade and bulk cost per blade isn't constant)

Space_Cadet thank you very much but honestly for now I'm a little overwhelmed with ten blades to choose from. If you let me know what you'd add another time I'll try them. Thank you all for your help

I say mix up 4 or 5 cheaper blades and 3 or 4 premium ones. If the cheap ones work well enough for you, there you go! Buy a 100. If not, find the premium one that suits you.

I'd say Astra SP, Shark SS, Rapira Swedish SS, Voskhod, Gillette Silver Blue, and the Feather that you asked for. Maybe throw in Personna Lab Blue and one of the 7 O'Clocks (based on BB comments, probably the Yellow).

I'd say this is good advice. I ordered from Tryablade and I got three blades of eight brands just because what may work well in my NEW might not be that great in the Tech. I am trying the premiums first but if something like the Astras work as well, then that puts some cash back in my pocket. Plus if one brand doesn't work for me, I won't have many extra blades hanging around.

Space_Cadet thank you very much but honestly for now I'm a little overwhelmed with ten blades to choose from. If you let me know what you'd add another time I'll try them. Thank you all for your help

Don't be overwhelmed. Just try them all. Don't worry about which one first, second, third, and so on. Give each blade 2-3 shaves and toss it. Don't try to get every last mile out of them. You're still new so there's no need wondering "was it because the blade was older and dull?" 2 or 3 shaves and in the can!

Make a few notes. You don't have to share them with us, they're for you. Did the blade cut easily or did you feel pulling? Did you achieve a smooth shave with one or two passes or did you need a third? Was there any irritation after the shave? These are the things that you should make note of and use as reference when it comes time narrow down your blade preferences.

I guess you got the blades. Enjoy. You've got the next 20-30 shaves covered, by then you'll have some more skill and a better idea of your likes and dislikes when it comes to blades.

Top Bottom