What's new

Which Peterson XL02?

Somehow a Jaw Hanger is calling me and the last couple of days I’m eyeing 03‘s and XL02‘s.
I know Peterson builds them heavy but I guess they balance ok.
On the shortlist are these 3 from smokingpipes.eu

2020 Christmas with copper trimming and Army Mount
DF8A44A4-D870-40AE-BD2C-AEF3C3E9A1EA.jpeg

Irish Harp with silver trimming and saddle stem
BFA72FC6-B391-454A-B2F9-07AB7D550812.jpeg

an ugly duckling Seconds for less than 70 euros and a P-lip - which I never had before
4D798EE2-E014-4D18-8A89-F82FD249371E.jpeg

Pros/Cons and general opinions on the model or different series are highly appreciated.

The other model I was looking into was the 306 but I tend to hold or clench so the sitter feature would be mostly esthetic.

View attachment 1330465

Have you seen the Halloween pipes coming out in a few weeks?

Of the the three I like #1. P-lips are great but it a polarizing stem. Some really hate it.
That’s the Dracula stem isn’t it? Not really my cup of tea but the blast on this one looks good.

On the P-lip that’s why it is in the selection. It’s only 68something and if I don’t like it at all then better at a budget price.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
That’s the Dracula stem isn’t it? Not really my cup of tea but the blast on this one looks good.

Yep it’s a Dracula. Check out GQ tobaccos, a UK site for some more Peterson’s. Their prices are at a tiny bit better than SP, but I don’t know if the pipe you see is the pipe you get. Black Swan Shoppe too. I don’t know how the Brexit will affect taxes etc.

Yep it’s a Dracula. Check out GQ tobaccos, a UK site for some more Peterson’s. Their prices are at a tiny bit better than SP, but I don’t know if the pipe you see is the pipe you get. Black Swan Shoppe too. I don’t know how the Brexit will affect taxes etc.
Nope, UK vendors are nearly out of question for current production pieces. I would pay at least an additional 10-12 euros handling fee and VAT for an Irish made pipe that I can get without hassle within the EU. The only difficulty is to find a vendor that has filterless pipes as most German and Danish/Dutch outfits sell mostly 9mm pieces.

Dunno about how they smoke, though my lone Peterson, a 307 from the '80s, is superb. But they all have acrylic stems, which means you don't have to worry about removing oxidation in the future. I'd say the army mount ones would be a great bet. Easy to break down after a smoke, and they look great. Of the 3, the first seems to have the best esthetics, the rounded bowl, etc.

Sounds like you made a good choice. To me, number 1 is the best looking and number 2 looks the most comfortable.

In my opinion P Lips are the most okay thing ever. I don't like them, but I don't hate them. I wouldn't buy a pipe because it had one, nor would I avoid a pipe for the same reason. They're as okay as a thing can be.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Sounds like you made a good choice. To me, number 1 is the best looking and number 2 looks the most comfortable.

In my opinion P Lips are the most okay thing ever. I don't like them, but I don't hate them. I wouldn't buy a pipe because it had one, nor would I avoid a pipe for the same reason. They're as okay as a thing can be.

Okay! :lol:

So do they work as intended for you or is it more of a gimmick?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
The color scheme and saddle stem looks very nice but the bowl doesn’t look as round and plump as their typical Apple‘s so I went with the Christmas.
Yeah, I'd have followed the B and B mantra, and "bought all three" if my lovely bride would give me the PayPal top secret password, doggone!

So do they work as intended for you or is it more of a gimmick?

They can definitely reduce tongue bite, but it's at the expense of the roof of your mouth. Depending on what I'm smoking, the roof of my mouth will feel weird for a few hours after smoking.

The big issue for me is how difficult it is to pass a pipe cleaner. A jaw hanger is tough enough without starting the cleaner pass through a p lip.

They can definitely reduce tongue bite, but it's at the expense of the roof of your mouth. Depending on what I'm smoking, the roof of my mouth will feel weird for a few hours after smoking.

The big issue for me is how difficult it is to pass a pipe cleaner. A jaw hanger is tough enough without starting the cleaner pass through a p lip.
A good point, is it possible to use a tapered cleaner and start at the bottom?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member

Yep you can, with a regular BJ Long with a little finesse from the shank end of the stem. It will funnel the pipe clear right out the plip hole:
image.jpg

image.jpg

The nice thing with the system pipes is the military allows you to pass the cleaner right after you smoke vs letting it cool and cake up.

For cleaning purposes, with the pipe broken down, I've never had an issue. It's the during smoke moisture that's a problem. I've got several p lip pipes, and it's just a minor inconvenience to be dealt with. I reach for my p lip Pete's as much as I do any of them.

If I'm being honest, my favorite Peterson is an old beat up Aran bent apple with a p lip that I've had for 15 years or so. It's got fills that have fallen out, 15 years of rim blackening, and the drilling is abysmal, but for some reason she just feels right.

Top Bottom