What's new

Which one of these beginner strops do I get?

The question will be what should follow the Filly, a artisan or a multi-sided paddle with pastes?

You are going cheap(er), but workable with the Filly. Good strategy. My recommendation is that when you branch out beyond the Filly, follow the same strategy for awhile... don't spend much, and find out what you like.

At the beginning of this thread especially, there was a difference of opinion. There are so many ways to get the job done. And, undoubtedly, balsa (and other equipment directions) is not for everyone.

Why? Do you not like the balsa?

Maybe I'm more concerned about the lazyness of the people buying the balsa "hones." All you need is a small piece of balsa, a harder piece of wood, some glue and crox. If your using balsa wood, its because your too poor to make a pasted strop, which actually makes no sense because you should have a cloth component to your strop, and that cloth component on any strop worth buying is reversible. Thus, all you'd really need is crox.

And yes, I don't like the balsa. It is a poor medium for chromium oxide. Cotton/linen is many times smoother. And if you like a harsh feeling razor, diamond sprays will get you there better. Although, with diamond spray, you probably want the wool strop as I hear the cotton does not compare to the wool, but cotton works just fine.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Leighton,
I think the value of the diamond sprays is their fast cutting and the availablility of various grit sizes. Diamond, in several grits, is an effective step between stropping and honing for those who prefer not to get into the stones.

While stones are available in a wide range of grits too many guys don't want to make the larger investment or learn to use them properly. Here a few pieces of balsa, or a leather paddle or two buys a lot of time before more serious work is needed on the edge.

Chromium will leave a smoother step though as the final medium but I get a fine shave right off of 0.5 micron diamond.

One thing newbies many want to consider is where they are headed in all this. Many want the whole experience from creating the egde to the final shave, every step needs to be done by them, it is the "hobby". Others, me included, just want an enjoyable straight shave. I own just a few razors, use pastes to maintain the edge I have and let a honemeister take care of the rest when needed. Since I am no longer selling and honing razors every day I leave my edge to the guy who does. Now mind you, most of us go through all the stages from the newbie just started, to the obsession, back to a more balanced middle ground........maybe :biggrin1:

Tony

Top Bottom