What's new

Which model would this be

Acquired this could anyone tell me about it? Saves hours of trolling through gillette info please. IMG-20211128-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20211128-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20211128-WA0015.jpg

Looks like a Gillette Old Type to me. 1920's -- decent shaver.
Yes, Gillette Old Type pocket edition set. It looks to be in very good condition with all the comb teeth straight and clean. Check the handle (which is brass tubing) for cracks at the base and top, where the press fittings connect. I don't see any in the pics, but can only see one side. Most of these Old Type ball end handles do have at least small hairline cracks; yours might be the fairly rare one that does not. Either way, small cracks are generally not an issue in terms of functionality. Nice score.

Need to pick it up from my parents house but I'm informed as to no cracks. There eyes aren't what they used to be so I'll have to see for myself. Thanks for the help.

Could you suggest a blade for its first outing.
Without knowing anything about your current razor/blade preferences, I couldn't really suggest a specific blade. I'd recommend going with a blade that you know works well for you, keeping in mind that the Old Type is a fairly aggressive razor with quite a bit of blade feel. Starting with a blade you are familiar with will help you evaluate the performance of the razor. Then, you can adjust from there to find other potential matches.

Without knowing anything about your current razor/blade preferences, I couldn't really suggest a specific blade. I'd recommend going with a blade that you know works well for you, keeping in mind that the Old Type is a fairly aggressive razor with quite a bit of blade feel. Starting with a blade you are familiar with will help you evaluate the performance of the razor. Then, you can adjust from there to find other potential matches.
Makes sense when you think about it .
Thans.

Blades that work fine for me in a Gillette old type:

PolsilverExtra Stainless
PersonnaLab Blue
AstraSuperior Platinum
GillettePlatinum
GilletteNacet Stainless
As spang said go with something I like and know the performance of so I'll probably start with a Nacet and see how it is.
Thanks

Top Bottom