What's new

What's Your Pick for .22LR Accuracy Ammo?

@ColtRevolver , I need a selection like that! All the major players!

A surprisingly good ammo out of that pile was the SK Flatnose Match. It's less that $9.00 a box. I got some to test and wasn't really expecting much. The four groups in this pic were shot at 50 yards. Each group was 5 shots.

20200813_130330.jpg

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
So for cheap ammo that shoots amazingly well you can't beat CCI standard (but if you find a lot your gun likes buy a pallet!). Steping up all the SK stuff is amazing and I think the SK Match+ strikes a nice balance between accuracy and price, From there the little CZ likes Wolf Target and Match ammo (both made by Eley) and that ammo is also reasonable. Someday I'll grab a few boxes of Lapua Midas and X-Act to see what's up but at $18.00 to $22.00 a box is a little hard to swallow even for me! Shooting suppressed? I think I will really like the RWS field line Sub-Sonic HPs out of the CZ (24" barrel). For the pistol? Who cares? The barrel is so short that anything standard velocity is sub-sonic. Another cheapie that shoots well is Federal Auto-Match. Honestly, the squirrels don't seem to be brand snobs if you know what I mean... ;)

My old Savage really likes the cci Blazer cheapies. I never tried the fancy target ammunition, but the blazers group really well at 50 yards.

One thing I have noticed over the years with any .22 long gun is ....if you clean the barrel it takes almost half a box of ammo to settle back on its zero again . Rws is good ...Lapua club is good practice ammo with occasional flyers ... Eley and Lapua match ? hard to choose between them for accuracy ... with .22LR its very gun dependent I think .

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I've been a bit disappointed with the Lapua Center X and the Midas+. Having a lot of misfires. Accuracy of the Center X not any better than CCI standard velocity. The Midas +, WHEN IT FIRES, is pretty good, but still the occasional uncalled flier. My Ruger 10/22 has a KIDD barrel and trigger kit, so it is inherently pretty accurate. The Midas + is pretty dirty as well. I've got some RWS subsonic HPs I wanna try.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
View attachment 1202860

Ruger 10/22 from the bench, 50 Ft. smallbore target shot at 50 Yds. Best 10 out of 12 unofficially scored 92/100. Needs work, but not too shabby. This is potentially for our Range Officers Quarterly "postal" match. Shoot on your own, honor system. I have until the end of the month to submit a better target.

Best effort so far with the Midas +, it probably took about 15 rounds to get 12 that actually went off! Officially scored 93/100.

Something is wrong if you are having a lot of misfires from Lapua. I have literally shot cases of Center X. A misfire was a very rare occurrence.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Perhaps so, I was thinking the same. I removed the bolt and cleaned everything real well, thought that it might be a fouled firing pen creating light primer strikes. Midas seems to be really dirty. I was also having failures to eject. I need to further diagnose and possibly replace the firing pin, check the extractor, maybe replace one or both. Maybe check the recoil spring.

My tuned up Kimber 82G really prefers Fiocchi SM 320 Super Match (old orange boxes). Sub 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards.
Eley came next, but was not as consistent as this old Fiocchi stuff.
All my testing was in a 100 yd. tunnel, so that took all the wind out of the picture.
A lot of "work" to get there.

As was said prior, every rifle is an entity to itself and has its own personality and preferences.

Top Bottom