What's new

Whats the difference between the Chubby and the Duke?

Just curious as i'm looking into my next brush. I love my Duke 3. And my preference is a brush with more backbone.

Can anyone explain the difference between these two popular brushes?
Thanks.

I got a Duke 3 for Christmas and was looking towards a Chubby for my next purchase. I would be interested as well to receive comments. I am predominantly a soap user and face latherer.

David

Last edited:
Density is a major difference as well. The chubby line is probably one of the densest brush lines made.

The Chubby brushes generally have larger knots. The Chubby1 is the smallest Chubby with a listed knot size of 23mm. The Chubby 2 is 26 mm and the Chubby 3 is 31 mm. The largest Duke is the Duke 3 with a listed knot size of 25mm.

The Chubby line is one of the most dense series of brushes currently being produced. I do have a Chubby1 (one of my favorite brushes) and a recently acquired Chubby 2.

I also have a Duke 3 that I just picked up. I have been impressed with my initial use of this brush and its density. The density of the Duke 3 knot compares favorable with the density of the Chubby series. (I will note that both my Chubby brushes are 2-band supers and may not be quite as dense as the Best versions of 3-band super versions of the same Chubby brush.)

The Chubbys are available in the Super grade of badger hair while the Duke's top line is the Best grade.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I think the Duke 3 and the Chubby 1 has the same knot size with different handles.

The Duke 3 and the Chubby 1 are EXACTLY the same brush, with different handles. I got this info directly by Brett (Simpson/Vulfix General Manager).

Three band Chubby's are some very dense brushes. My two band Duke 2 is quite dense, but not close to Chubby, and frankly if I got a two band chubby 1 and it was only this dense I would be very disappointed. I can't say absolutely, but I strongly suspect that Chubbys are denser than Dukes across the board.

Also, my Duke 2 is about the same size as my Chubby 1, so if the Duke 3 and Chub 1 are the same knot, then the Duke 3's primary gain over the Duke 2 must just be density and maybe 1mm diameter. (edit: looks like the difference is 2mm diameter according to specs).

Last edited:
The Duke 3 and the CH1 range all have very similar, if not the same knot.

I have a CH1 in 2-band super and one in 3-band super as well as a Duke 3 in best. With the particular specimens that I have, the least dense of these is the 2-band super followed by the Duke 3 and the CH1 in 3-band taking the lead for the most dense.

Great brushes, the D3 and CH1 - but my preference goes to the CH1 and I can't quite put my finger on why. I'm eventually going to get another CH1 in best so I can have the whole range.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
It's simple.

Chubby-
proxy.php

The Duke-
proxy.php

The Duke 3 and the CH1 range all have very similar, if not the same knot.

I have a CH1 in 2-band super and one in 3-band super as well as a Duke 3 in best. With the particular specimens that I have, the least dense of these is the 2-band super followed by the Duke 3 and the CH1 in 3-band taking the lead for the most dense.

Great brushes, the D3 and CH1 - but my preference goes to the CH1 and I can't quite put my finger on why. I'm eventually going to get another CH1 in best so I can have the whole range.

Andrew you're quickly becoming a bad influence on me! Now you got me contemplating the CH1 in 2-band or 3-band!:blink:

Top Bottom