What's new

what's the deal with witch hazel?

hey guys

Just checked the tracking and my new blade is coming today . . . very pumped.

Question:
I've seen a couple of posts about witch hazel, and was wondering what exactly it is, and what it does?

Also WHERE is it? While I've been out and about, I've looked in a couple of shaving sections of stores and haven't seen it.

Would you recomend it?

New to all this and just trying to get a routine down,

thanks

Here's the Wikipedia page on ot.

Witch hazel is an astringent. It heals and soothes your face after a shave. Sometimes it contains alcohol (mine contains 14%) and sometimes not. It smells terrible (some have related it to a nursing home smell) but does a good job.

You can buy it at Walmart for ~$2 or you can purchase some that contains fragrance for $5+. If you take the Walmart route, check by the shazing section or whereever they sell rubbing alcohol.

I recomend it. It seems to take away any razor burn I have right away.

Witch Hazel (Hamamelis virginiana) is a natural astringent that has many many uses, one of which is as an aftershave. It is also a strong anti-oxident and can be used for all kinds of skin issues, and the good thing about it is it doesn't burn like alcohol, nor does it dry out the skin. It is a great aftershave by itself, and is found in a lot of aftershaves.
I would recommend trying it. You will more than likely find it at a health food store, and they usually carry Thayers which is probably the best brand of it. Also, even Wal-Mart carries Dickinsons, but you will find it right beside the rubbing alcohol in the pharmacy.
I have some Thayers that I use, and I also have a aftershave splash from a brand called EO that has witch hazel in it.

hey guys

Just checked the tracking and my new blade is coming today . . . very pumped.

Question:
I've seen a couple of posts about witch hazel, and was wondering what exactly it is, and what it does?

Also WHERE is it? While I've been out and about, I've looked in a couple of shaving sections of stores and haven't seen it.

Would you recomend it?

New to all this and just trying to get a routine down,

thanks

It is usually found right next to the bottles of alcohol and peroxide. And that is usually on the bottom shelf in the first aid section.

All the drugstore brands I have seen contain alcohol (14%) and do have a nasty smell. I wanted something without either alcohol or a scent and found Thayers: "http://www.thayers.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=31. It is definitely scent-free.

proxy.php

But I bought it here for much less (lower shipping, too): http://vitanetonline.com/product.cfm?product=TA0037

It is classified as an astringent. (Closes open pores?) I just started using it and I do believe it leaves my face feeling better. Basically softer, smoother skin. Perhaps that is the aloe vera and might have nothing to do with the witch hazel, but the overall package seems to work.

There are variations with alcohol and presumably more pleasant scents (e.g. rose). Some may prefer the alcohol for its antiseptic effect.

Witch Hazel (Hamamelis virginiana) is a natural astringent that has many many uses, one of which is as an aftershave. It is also a strong anti-oxident and can be used for all kinds of skin issues, and the good thing about it is it doesn't burn like alcohol, nor does it dry out the skin. It is a great aftershave by itself, and is found in a lot of aftershaves.
I would recommend trying it. You will more than likely find it at a health food store, and they usually carry Thayers which is probably the best brand of it. Also, even Wal-Mart carries Dickinsons, but you will find it right beside the rubbing alcohol in the pharmacy.
I have some Thayers that I use, and I also have a aftershave splash from a brand called EO that has witch hazel in it.

+1 It is also great for a sunburn.

But I bought it here for much less (lower shipping, too): http://vitanetonline.com/product.cfm?product=TA0037.

They've got the Lemon and the Lavender varieties of Thayer's as well for the same price. It's more expensive than the cheap bottle I can get at my local drug store, but they're supposed to smell great. Actually, I've grown accustomed to the slight stank :9898: of store-brand witch hazel, but I'll probably buy this stuff when it's time for a new bottle...

Cheers,
Tom

Thayers also has rose too! I've been using this stuff for 2+ weeks...irritation is WAY down and it smells decent too!

Alot of folks use this after their cold rinse post shaving and before they apply AS

Been usign Dickenson's blue label (they also make a yellow label that has less alchohol) for years and used to use it on my customers when i was Barbering. After it dries I follow it with a spash of aftershave or balm. I actually like the smell (and it's gone as soon as it dires). My mother used to use it as an all around first aid kit when I was a kid (back in the dark ages when we still had mercurochome and mertiolate along with iodine!) and it's one of the few things I have found that will actually take away the itch of an insect bit for a period of time. Good stuff!

Last edited:
i´ve been using this Witch hazel enriched aloe vera cream i found in israel, used to treat sunburns, but actually quite nice on the skin as tonic and razor relief,

All the drugstore brands I have seen contain alcohol (14%) and do have a nasty smell. I wanted something without either alcohol or a scent and found Thayers.

The alcohol is used (at least in Thayer's) as a preservative. The non-alcohol toners use parabens instead. On the other hand, the Thayer's aftershave has 20% alcohol, probably more for its antiseptic effect (er, and to wake you up after using that rusty, dull Treet Blue Special with your Slant). :scared:

You will more than likely find it at a health food store, and they usually carry Thayers

You might want to try the www.thayers.com website to locate a store near you. It's worth the trip. The Thayers Original (like Robert Paulsen's pic above) is far far superior for soothing and toning your face after shaving than any alcohol containing brand. You can use much less for better results, therebye justifiying the higher cost.

It is usually found right next to the bottles of alcohol and peroxide. And that is usually on the bottom shelf in the first aid section.

All the drugstore brands I have seen contain alcohol (14%) and do have a nasty smell. I wanted something without either alcohol or a scent and found Thayers: "http://www.thayers.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=31. It is definitely scent-free.

proxy.php

But I bought it here for much less (lower shipping, too): http://vitanetonline.com/product.cfm?product=TA0037

It is classified as an astringent. (Closes open pores?) I just started using it and I do believe it leaves my face feeling better. Basically softer, smoother skin. Perhaps that is the aloe vera and might have nothing to do with the witch hazel, but the overall package seems to work.

There are variations with alcohol and presumably more pleasant scents (e.g. rose). Some may prefer the alcohol for its antiseptic effect.

thanks for the tip on vitanetonline! I just placed an order for the Superhazel at a great price!

Do you guys splash it on with your hands or use a cotton pad? My local GMC carries it or maybe I will order it from Robert's link.

I wonder if the witch hazel will take care the the irritation I get on my neck from wearing a shirt and tie (5 days a week)?

Do you guys splash it on with your hands or use a cotton pad? My local GMC carries it or maybe I will order it from Robert's link.

I wonder if the witch hazel will take care the the irritation I get on my neck from wearing a shirt and tie (5 days a week)?

Splash it on with hands.

Great thread guys. As a newb, I have often wondered as well. Went ahead and followed the link and purchased the lemon scented. Hope it helps!

The alcohol is used (at least in Thayer's) as a preservative. The non-alcohol toners use parabens instead. On the other hand, the Thayer's aftershave has 20% alcohol, probably more for its antiseptic effect (er, and to wake you up after using that rusty, dull Treet Blue Special with your Slant). :scared:

Here on the other side of the pond plain ol' Witch-hazel is only ever water-based so far as I've found - no scents, no alcohol, no preservatives - just a wee glass bottle (200ml usually) of 100% Hamemelis Water for £0.79 to £2.49 - same stuff inside though regardless of price.

Top Bottom