What's new

What's the best meal (or meals) you've ever had?

My best meal was probably a feast at the Edgewater Hotel in Seattle, provided by their executive chef at the time who went on to become one of the tv chefs on the west coast, Caprial Pence. She narrated each of the five courses and provided a wine pairing with each course. Wow!

Second most memorable restaurant meal--I love eating at the House of Prime Rib in San Francisco. It's been years since I was there, but again, certainly worth a visit.

Best indoor meal:

In a pub in foggy, mysterious Ely, England: grilled mackerel with hollandaise, steamed samphire (a seaweed that you scrape between your teeth; marvelous, tastes a bit like asparagus), mashed potatoes.

Best outdoor meal:

Near a nameless market town in SW France. Icy Evian water, fresh baguette, pate de foie gras, heaps of fresh watercress, cherries. In a field, under a tree, overlooking a river.

Rijsttafel in Amsterdam on vacation with my family many years ago.

In Port Credit, ON, there used to be a restaurant on the Lakeshore called The Dutch Kitchen, where you could ask for a Rijstaffel with a large enough group (I think it was minimum 8 diners). Outside of my Mom's cooking and some of my wife's dishes nothing compares to that meal . . . and it was over 35 years ago.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Mmm, pasta that I had in Italy in a very small village. It had truffles and was served with the local wine. I had a view on the valley and it was with family while visiting the place. Top meal.

I also had a very memorable meal at Guy Grossi's Restaurant in Melbourne Australia. I saw Mr Grossi that night and exchanged a few words with him. His Maitre D was from Sicily and was great! I ate more food during that meal then the previous 2 days. The Armagnac was perfect to close the meal.

Can't think of anything else.

Chicken and plantains cooked in a cast iron pot over an open fire, served with corn tamales mixed with chopped olives roasted in a palm leaf. Washed down with the freshest lemonade known to man.

Al fresco.

A moment of peace and humanity in the jungles of Central America.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Chicken and plantains cooked in a cast iron pot over an open fire, served with corn tamales mixed with chopped olives roasted in a palm leaf. Washed down with the freshest lemonade known to man.

Al fresco.

A moment of peace and humanity in the jungles of Central America.
Whew...
Sounds great, Tony!

Revive a dead thread.....

Home Cooked Best meal:
My FIL had an old barrel drum charcoal grill. About 15 years ago he made the best Strip steak I have ever had the opportunity of drooling over!!!! Nothing but kingsford, salt and pepper.

Restaurant Best Meal:(Remind you guys that I have been professionally cooking for almost 20 years and have had the opportunity to eat a ton of really good food)..... Vegas in the MGM Grand at https://www.mgmgrand.com/en/restaurants/latelier-joel-robuchon-french-restaurant.html back in 2007'ish.... Had the Fois Gras ravioli... words could not even describe that simple bite of food. It was simply perfect.

In Port Credit, ON, there used to be a restaurant on the Lakeshore called The Dutch Kitchen, where you could ask for a Rijstaffel with a large enough group (I think it was minimum 8 diners). Outside of my Mom's cooking and some of my wife's dishes nothing compares to that meal . . . and it was over 35 years ago.

Wow!!! I remember that place. My brother remembers it before it became the Dutch Kitchen, it used to be a theatre.

That was a good restaurant. The Swiss Marmite down the street (NW corner of Lakeshore and 10) had very nice schnitzel.

- Chili Cheese Etouffee with Crawfish from Yats back when they had a restaurant at Purdue. That one dish was why I worked out 10-15 hours a week.
- I had some Beef Short Rib from Kenny's Wood Fired Grill in Addison, TX a couple weeks back. It was fall-apart-in-your-mouth good. My mouth was full of the best pot roast flavors with every bite.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
...food memories are a powerful thing.

I had to think about this one alot. Hands down would be my Granny's fried Gulf of Mexico oysters. She cooked them in her cast iron pan, which I own now.

Wow!!! I remember that place. My brother remembers it before it became the Dutch Kitchen, it used to be a theatre.

That was a good restaurant. The Swiss Marmite down the street (NW corner of Lakeshore and 10) had very nice schnitzel.

Been there too, back when . . .

And, somewhere out on Hwy 6 (I think), there used to be a smorgasbord place called The Plainsman. Family went there more than a couple times. AWESOME Euro-type meat and potatoes type cooking.

And, somewhere out on Hwy 6 (I think), there used to be a smorgasbord place called The Plainsman. Family went there more than a couple times. AWESOME Euro-type meat and potatoes type cooking.

Plainsman i believe was in Burlington.
dave

The old pizza chain Mothers started up again a few years ago. I think some of the old players are involved.

I tried the one in Kitchener, good hearty food. Decor is similar to the old Mothers, but less busy and a little classier.

http://mothersrestaurants.com/

About 4 years ago I was hospitalized with pancreatitis and was in a coma for about 3 weeks. I was on an IV diet the entire time. When it came time for me to break my fast, I was given a small serving of chocolate pudding. That pudding tasted so good that I cried from the delight of eating it. That is my very best meal. A great meal may be made of the simplest items.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
About 4 years ago I was hospitalized with pancreatitis and was in a coma for about 3 weeks. I was on an IV diet the entire time. When it came time for me to break my fast, I was given a small serving of chocolate pudding. That pudding tasted so good that I cried from the delight of eating it. That is my very best meal. A great meal may be made of the simplest items.

A great story....thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom