What's new

What is your favourite artisan shaving soap?

I really favor SaintCharlesShave.com soaps. I've used most artisan soaps at least a little bit, and SCS is a top performer. It also will produce the finest, richest, and thickest lather of any soap.

-- John Gehman

1. LPL
2. Panna Crema
3. Mike's
4. HTGAM Synergy

LPL = Le Pére Lucien

How could I forget that?! If you do have the chance to get ahold of Le Pére Lucien, I would suggest you try a sample.

I think for a majority, many like the performance of Panna Crema but can be really put off on the scent. The only one I liked was the San Francesco which most did not enjoy. The other soaps you should consider would be Queen Charlotte Soaps/Creams, Barrister and Mann, Jabonman, and there are many other bigger artisan companies that I like but will suggest these first.

This thread is begging for what you guys define as "Artisan/Artisanal". I am interested in hearing your thoughts:

- It seems that if a soap reaches a certain capacity of production then it is no longer "artisanal". Essentially, the maker manually mixes, pours, cures the soap. Use of machinery to increase production negates the label of being an "artisan soap".

- Another component that I see is that the use of "all-natural" (another term that is flexible) ingredients is a must. Most (if not all) artisan soap makers are touting this as a selling point of their products.

- The last thought and probably a controversial one is the buying/selling/marketing chain. An example would be RazoRock's line - I don't *think* Joe makes any of his soaps, but he contributes a significant amount of input and design to the actual maker. As such, do you guys consider his line of soaps truly "artisanal"

I am very interested to hear what your guys thoughts are on the subject. A different take would be "Why do you not consider MWF or Castle Forbes to be an artisan product?"

Edit - I forgot to enter in my worthy products :)

- Castle Forbes (Yes, I do consider this to be an artisan product)
- Barrister & Mann
- Stirling
- RazoRock

Last edited:
This thread is begging for what you guys define as "Artisan/Artisanal". I am interested in hearing your thoughts

Anything made with the same care, precision, and personal touch as these -

$0002840002215_500X500.jpg

RazoRock soaps really had me confused when I started wet shaving as the names don't really make any sense or tell you anything about the soap. Reviews are all over the board as far as performance goes. With what I know now I wouldn't tell someone to just buy a RazoRock soap without telling them which one.

RazoRock soaps are not all made by the same company. I believe different products in the line are produced by different soap manufacturers. The manufacture of each soap is subbed out to another company and I think they use about six or eight different companies to produce the different soaps. Some are average, some are excellent and they don't come out and tell you what company produced what products. You have to research each RazoRock soap individually and read reviews to see if it is one that performs well. So I wouldn't give up on RazoRock if you find a soap you don't like as you probably just didn't pick one of the better ones. Some of the good ones are really good and an excellent value at the $10 they charge for them. Maybe just do some research to find the really great ones. For example, the new XXX tallow is excellent and definitely worth buying when it is back in stock in a few months.

1. Stirling. Best combination of lather, slickness, after-shave feel, and price
2. Panna Crema. Great scents and performance, plus it's "unobtanium" which increases the allure. :)
3. L.A. Shaving Soaps. Great scents, perfect, elastic lather from tiny amount.

I have to try the LPL and Strop Shoppe! I've tried all the others mentioned here for the most part. All good stuff!

^^ I could not agree more re: RazoRock. I feel the same about Mikes as well. Both way overrated.

Petal Pusher Fancies has really proven to be top notch.

Stirling seems to be pretty good.

I haven't been very impressed with QCS and RazoRock soaps. I think RazoRock in particular is way over rated.

Razorock is really confusing, because they aren't a manufacturer, but sort of like a generic that relabels soaps from other manufacturers. Several that I tried were nothing special, but the xxx t us unbelievably good. Unfortunately, it is out of stock, and nothing else in the line is similar I don't think

I find this very interesting, care to elaborate?

I find this very interesting, care to elaborate?

Basically, they get various artisans to make stuff to sell under their own brand name. This thread has some more info

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...s-Soap-For-Which-Companies?highlight=razorock

but not a lot of confirmation. Post 6 is the best chart I've seen, but then the owner chimes in down thread and never confirms nor denies the accuracy.

I've tried soaps in the La Familiga, artisan, and XXX lines. I thought the La Familigia was just ok, the Artisan was pretty good (Comparable to Cella, which I like but don't love) and that the current XXX-T is one of the best soaps I have used at any price point period. I get the impression that the XXX-T is the only one in the line from that manufacturer, or with that formula. Like I said in that thread, I've never had one that I thought was bad, and they are a pretty good value, although I dare say there is more competition in the "Inexpensive artisan" category (to coin a phrase) than when there was a few years ago.

Sure. I assume you are particularly interested in my RazoRock opinion obviously from the posts you quoted and your signature. The Caribbean Coconut makes my face bright red ad itchy. I have a reaction to it. I also didnt think it lathers all that great - not bad but not like RR products are portrayed to lather by many. The glide was good , cushion just ok. I emailed Joe as I know the soaps are made with various recipes using various artisans and asked for a list of the soaps made by the same vendor or with same formula as the CC so I could avoid them. I did not get the list but rather a recommendation to try the Lavender or 888. I bought the 888 and tried it. I was overall disappointed. My Proraso Green (also eucalyptus) thats $6 less a tub performs better across the board. For as highly touted as RR is here, which Im finding isn't always an accurate representation for me personally, I expected more.

Thanks for your thoughts. I have to admit I too had a reaction to the Classic soap but not as bad as yours. I've heard here before that RR soaps are "hot". I recently went back to the Classic and had no reaction so go figure, don't know why. Like you said, ymmv, and that is why I like this forum so much, you can use everyone thoughts to educate yourself and truly become better at what you are doing. I still haven't got a handle what guys are referring to, or the difference between glide and cushion and how they are mutually exclusive.... I also didn't get good lather with RR products when I first started but after talking with Joe I have that fixed. Water, water, water.....now I great great slick gobs of it!

Stupid question: If RR XX-T is so popular and out of stock, why will it take "available again in about three months"? That seems to be a long time to resupply to me, but I know next to nothing about the soap business.

The actual manufacture that makes the soap has it in the schedule to make it again then. It was not a limited edition, just not made to mass quantity.

Stupid question: If RR XX-T is so popular and out of stock, why will it take "available again in about three months"? That seems to be a long time to resupply to me, but I know next to nothing about the soap business.

It's the XXX tallow as the XX is a different product.

Below you will find the response I received from Joe when I ask if the RazoRock XXX tallow would be available going forward.

RazoRock does not manufacture their own soaps. They are all made by other companies. Since this is produced by another company for RazoRock I imagine he has to put in an order well ahead of time and then wait for the run to be completed. The company producing the soap probably has to shut down the production of other their soaps in order to do the run for RazoRock. Either way it is worth the wait and I'm happy that it will be available again.

HI David,

That was my intention. We made 500 units thinking it would be good for 2 months; it lasted about a week and a bit.

We are trying to get more in 3-4 months. I hope to be able to regularly stock it.

Warm regards, Joseph
@razorockJoe

ItalianBarber.com

Last edited:
Top Bottom