What's new

What is the correct method to shave with a multi-blade cartridge?

For me it'd probably have to be a single wtg pass, at least on the 6 bladed carts. If it's 2 bladed I could probably get away with 2 passes, wtg then atg.
Obviously with all the prep and proper lather that I use for DE shaves, just less blade to face time.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
For me it'd probably have to be a single wtg pass, at least on the 6 bladed carts. If it's 2 bladed I could probably get away with 2 passes, wtg then atg.
Obviously with all the prep and proper lather that I use for DE shaves, just less blade to face time.
+1.

I believe the correct technique is to unceremoniously dump it in the trash in favor of a real razor. Signing a pledge to never again use a plastic imitation razor is an optional bonus.

Another valid choice would be to go full Grizzly Adams.

If you simply can't do either of those, then WTG and ATG should be more than sufficient, though you can do three real passes if you want to imagine you are using a proper razor.

-- Alan

Modern, cartidge razors are design to be used 1 pass, with the grain. I shave with a cart when I fly and I do 2 passes with it but I also only use 3-blade razors.
They actually give a pretty good shave and are almost foolproof. My wife buys these cheapie, 1-blade disposables that are generic branded but are made by Dorco (says, "blades made in South Korea" on the package) and theyre not bad, I just hate how much waste there is with them. If they ever made disposables that were recyclable, Id consider it.

When I would use cartridges (Gillette Fusion Proglide) I would just go first pass with the grain and then against the grain on my chin and mustache. I could not imagine how damaging the 5 blades would be in an across or against the grain on the cheeks so I left them out. Hated the results.

Build a nice warm lather on your brush and apply the lather to a well-prepared beard. Pick up your cartridge razor and throw it in the bin. Use your DE razor to have an enjoyable 3 or 4-pass shave.

Surely you were expecting this response.

When I would use cartridges (Gillette Fusion Proglide) I would just go first pass with the grain and then against the grain on my chin and mustache. I could not imagine how damaging the 5 blades would be in an across or against the grain on the cheeks so I left them out. Hated the results.
I dont think that carts were ever intended to be used ATG. They are intended to be used 1 pass, WTG; thats why they have the, "lift and cut" system. I experimented with various carts last year and was never really able to shave ATG with any of them without getting weepers.

Slowly put the razor down and back away from the sink. Just kidding. The Trac 2 came out when I was in high school and it got me thru the Army, college, job travel and the first 35 years of marriage. A darn good shaver. I still think it (and the Mach 3) are the best carts out there. I still use my T-2 when I travel just for the ease of it all. Otherwise I enjoy my vintage Gillette's daily. My only regret. I wish I'd found DE shaving 40 years ago.

I got into DE shaving more for the cost saving and less waste aspect of it, but when in a pinch, I still use whatever carts that I still have left over from my purchases prior to getting into DE. when in a rush, I even use foam from a can (but at the recommendation from others on this forum, I've switched to a better canned foam from Noxzema with aloe and lanolin, which is actually quite nice), and this helps to speed up the process when I'm in a rush. but I still make sure it's either just after washing my face in the shower, to ensure my whiskers are fully hydrated.

I usually do a 2 pass, wtx followed by xtg on my face, and a very soft atg on my neck and under my jaw-line. The results are usually pretty good. I still get some irritation on my neck with going atg with my DE razors, but almost never get irritation using a cart (which just means, I still need a lot of work on my DE technique...)

When I do have time, though, I can't beat the enjoyment factor of a proper DE shave.

I've had to use cartridge razors when I get sent out on the road (Normally with an unknown roomate and having to be ready to go quickly). So I generally don't bother with packing up a whole shaving routine and setting aside a good 20-25+ min for a DFS. I've tried so many different cartridge razors and different techniques and products. I cannot get even a bearable shave with them. I either miss huge patches on my face or my face looks like hamburger. Makes it that much more enjoyable when I'm finally home and can shave properly.

I dont think that carts were ever intended to be used ATG. They are intended to be used 1 pass, WTG; thats why they have the, "lift and cut" system. I experimented with various carts last year and was never really able to shave ATG with any of them without getting weepers.

Gotta agree with Badgerstate. Have only used carts while traveling for work (too much of a pain to check my luggage and I wasn't going to gamble on the quality of razor blades at the local drugstore) in the last few years, but I concur that the multiblades are supposed to be 1 pass wtg. I think when I tried even XTG I felt tugging and figured I'd rather have an imperfect shave than irregular blotches from irritation. I might not have been as thorough with prep as I would have been at home though.

I used to use the Atra twin blade razor with canned Colgate back in the 80s. I loved that thing still got a couple handles for it. The cool black painted metal ones. It did a great job actually. And I shaved with it in all directions. In my opinion it was better than the earlier Trac 2due to its pivoting action. If the cartridges were cheaper I might still be using it. In 1984 and five, you could purchase a pack of 10 for under 5 bucks. Not so anymore. Personna makes knock offs for it. Perhaps I’ll get some. Anyways I love DE shaving. Won’t quit doing it!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I believe the correct technique is to unceremoniously dump it in the trash in favor of a real razor. Signing a pledge to never again use a plastic imitation razor is an optional bonus.

If you simply can't do either of those, then WTG and ATG should be more than sufficient, though you can do three real passes if you want to imagine you are using a proper razor.

-- Alan
Lol

-- Alan

Top Bottom