What's new

What is so special here?

I watched this set the whole auction. The pics show a 430030 Aristocrat no handle markings, minor (but to me serious since it won't polish off) pitting on the doors and a few other locations but otherwise in good shape. In a nice box for a #14 set, with a nice shipper for a #15 set. Blade case doesn't look like it matches the set no matter how you slice it.

Someone wanted it very much since it sold for a whopping 700+ bucks US.

Thought and opinions welcome. I know it is worth what someone is willing to pay but in this case is the high selling price justified by other factors?
proxy.php

VINTAGE c1930's GILLETTE ARISTOCRAT No 15 ONE PIECE OPEN COMB SAFETY RAZOR + BOX

2 people wanted it real bad and both put in whopper bids.

Bet someone is very surprised

You mean the seller is surprised it sold for so much? Anything else of note about the seemingly mismatched set? (btw the pitting killed my interest.)

It is shiny and in fairly good condition. Box is in excellent condition and includes instructions. Folks will pay a lot for that alone (not sure about the $700 part). The blades is just gravy.

Pitting is a deal breaker for that kind of money, at least for me. (Unless it is a very rare example of course.) But I too have gone off the deep end a few times and paid too much, for which I am in a state of denial (despite my confession).
proxy.php

@nocutsnonicksnoweepers once told me these early British razors were prone to pitting. Not sure why though.

Was thinking pitting on this one was due to a shave, rinse, then put away wet with box closed. Forever. Enough moisture in the box and tiny deposits where the droplets dried out as points for a bit of corrosion.

The UK is surrounded by salt water. Could also be the famous UK rainy season which I have heard lasts 12 months.

ps. I just noticed that in this case the razor touches the side material. Moisture must be entering at the closure. With metal against > 0% humidity fabric it is inevitably going to corrode. The longer it sits, the more uniform the pits. Hey I made a rhyme.

Last edited:
Was thinking pitting on this one was due to a shave, rinse, then put away wet with box closed. Forever. Enough moisture in the box and tiny deposits where the droplets dried out as points for a bit of corrosion.

The UK is surrounded by salt water. Could also be the famous UK rainy season which I have heard lasts 12 months.

ps. I just noticed that in this case the razor touches the side material. Moisture must be entering at the closure. With metal against > 0% humidity fabric it is inevitably going to corrode. The longer it sits, the more uniform the pits. Hey I made a rhyme.
@nocutsnonicksnoweepers replated a #15 for me that had simular pitting on the handle. That is when he told me about the British razors are prone to it. My #15 didn't have a case so I'm not sure about your theory but then again it must have had a case at one point in time.

R

romsitsa

The 430030 under the head is interesting, never saw one. Also the metal frame for the blade pack looks unfamiliar. But I'm not knowledgeable enough in Aristocrats.

Adam

The 430030 under the head is interesting, never saw one. Also the metal frame for the blade pack looks unfamiliar. But I'm not knowledgeable enough in Aristocrats.

Adam

That is what caught my attention as well. That and the case, because the ones in the metal case seem to be easier to find. So it does seem to be a rather unique set.

R

romsitsa

That is what caught my attention as well. That and the case, because the ones in the metal case seem to be easier to find. So it does seem to be a rather unique set.

May I ask, are you the lucky one? If so, congratulations. And could you post a shot from the side of the cardboard box? :)
I'm curious if it's called a No.14 or 15 or something else?

Adam

Top Bottom