What's new

WHAT happened to your very 1st DE razor?

Mine is my EJ DE89LBL, my first and only.
Although I have been considering putting it up on BST and getting something more aggressive, like a Muhle R41.

Mine was a ball end old type. I still have it, but I acquired another just like it somewhere along the way. So I can no longer tell which one is the original.

My first was a Gillette SuperSpeed bought back in 1964 at local drug store. I was 15 or 16 at the time. Suprised by face isn't all scars <G>. Its lost in time somewhere but it was the one I learned to shave with.

Mine was a Gillette Tech (was my fathers) back about 54 years ago. What happened to it,? It got put in a drawer and eventually thrown away I suspect.

Mine was a cheap plasticky Boots brand that hit the trash as soon as I had a shave with a Superspeed.
So it doesn't count :p

My first real DE was a 53 blue tip Superspeed. Or a 40s Superspeed. I can't remember which now.

My first DE was a Q4 1961 Gillette Slim Adjustable, and I got it when it was new! Still have it and still use it now and again.

I bought a Lord L7 cheap on Amazon to see if DE shaving was for me without going to great expense. It was for me, so I expanded into vintage Gillettes. I keep it with my others as a testament to what hooked me in the first place.

I had a Gillette 3 piece with plastic handle in the late seventies. Went over to the cartridge for 30 years and now back to the DE. That first DE was probably thrown away as I didn't think I would return to that type of razor.

Last edited:
My first DE, a '60 Fatboy, is still my favorite. It was my late grandfather's. When I told my mother I planned on buying a straight, she dug it out of the attic for me as an alternative (she thought I would kill myself with a straight). Even after picking up a Blacktip SS, Old Type, New Deluxe, GEM 1912, and yes, a Dovo straight, I still reach for the Fatboy most mornings.

Mine was a
SS I bought on Ebay. Still have it and use it from time to time. I prefer my Fat Boy though.

I still have my first DE razor: a Gillette Slim Adjustable (H3), purchased new in April 1962. It is still in good usable condition and is part of the rotation. I will probably never sell it.

Mine was a Merkur 34c and I still have it. It's on a shelf getting no love, but it will go to my son at some point when he's ready to start shaving.

Top Bottom