What's new

What happened to short lofted small brushes?

I have that Yaqi 22mm, it's really tiny.. Fibers are soft and substantial backbone, given its size doesn't splay much, if any.

Not sure if you like boar bristle..? Some nice smaller ones to consider are the Semogue 620, and the Omega 10029 "Baby Pro", two of my favourites. Or, if you want to go really small, the Vulfix #2189 boar is super nice, but hard to find nowadays, I think it went out of production.

If you are looking for badger in the Shavemac and Simpson price range, you could also consider a THÄTER. I believe smallest knot is their "00" size, like the 4125/00, which is one of my favourite smaller badgers. If you are in Europe, they are available here:

THÄTER Pinsel 4125 Silberspitze 3-Band EKH creme-303703 - https://shop.nassrasur.com/de/Rasierpinsel-Dachshaar/THAeTER-Pinsel-4125-Silberspitze-3-Band-EKH-creme

Not sure if you like boar bristle..? Some nice smaller ones to consider are the Semogue 620, and the Omega 10029 "Baby Pro", two of my favourites. Or, if you want to go really small, the Vulfix #2189 boar is super nice, but hard to find nowadays, I think it went out of production.

If you are looking for badger in the Shavemac and Simpson price range, you could also consider a THÄTER. I believe smallest knot is their "00" size, like the 4125/00, which is one of my favourite smaller badgers. If you are in Europe, they are available here:

THÄTER Pinsel 4125 Silberspitze 3-Band EKH creme-303703 - https://shop.nassrasur.com/de/Rasierpinsel-Dachshaar/THAeTER-Pinsel-4125-Silberspitze-3-Band-EKH-creme

Very limited experiene with boars but the 620 at 21/50 is not small, according to my taste. 10029 seems more or less the same. I own an Omega 10065, it feels big, especially when splayed.

Yes I am in EU (Greece) but wow, the Thater is way out my pocket league (140€ including shipping). Also at this price range there is this Simpson covering exactly what I am looking for, apart from the price :biggrin:

How good a Two Band Silvertip Simpsons can be?

This one in 22mm I asume?

proxy.php

If yes, does anyone have a feedback on it?
Thankfully I can source it locally
Yup. Ive got one and its a great little brush. I use it for travel and its great for that because its small and easy to pack and because its synthetic, it dries very quickly.

The Omega 599, 18x45, and Simpson Berkley, 20x45, are a couple of my favorites, though the loft isn't that short compared to knot size.

I only use synthetics and here they all are.

1587732063732.png

L - R EJ 21 x 51, EJ 21 x 51, Simpsons Trafalgar T1 23 x 42, Simpsons Chubby 1 22 x 46, EJ 23 x 54

'In the hand' pic to try and show the scale. The 'larger' EJ is missing.

1587732559816.png

I don't consider any of these brushes particularly small. I respect that some folks prefer larger knots and/or larger handles but it bemuses me when brushes this size are considered beginners or travel brushes. The two 21mm EJ's are the same knot in a different handle. I don't use the 23mm EJ very often now. It's a bit big. :clap:

Γιώργο, I too prefer relatively small brushes. My ideal knot is the 24mm.

All my brushes have knots between 20mm and 24mm with the exception of one. My largest brush is the Razorock Monster which has a 26mm Plissoft knot and it's on the edge of being too inconvenient. I wish I had bought a smaller one. Rookie mistake.

I can't for the life of me understand how some are using brushes with larger knots that this. Their faces can't be that much bigger than mine. I can't imagine using brushes with 28-30mm or even larger knots.

Maneuverability and convenience are very important to me.

I'm a bowl-latherer and most scuttles and bowls are made for smaller brushes. I have the large scuttle of Steve Woodhead and the 26mm knotted Plissoft is a bit too much. Imagine using a 30mm one. No way this scuttle could handle it.
I think big brushes are just a gimmick and a sign of some kind of prestige. The same as purchasing a £300 razor that performs the same as a £30 one. Prestige and eliteis has crept into the wet shaving world i find.....

Have you checked out Progress Vulfix (also made by Simpsons)? There boar brushes are in the 19-22mm range and have short lofts so I assume they have similar badgers.

That's my no28 in comparison to other boars (it's the white and black handle in front of a Semogue SOC and Omega Jade). It's also the largest boar that Vulfix make.

1649705575493.png

Has anyone mentioned the Simpsons Case? Mine is in Best, and it just works—lathers like a champ with no need for a bowl, no scritch, rinses quickly and thoroughly, and, in its tube, takes up almost no space in a Dopp kit. Also, I don’t recall it shedding at all, and it dries fairly quickly for a badger knot.

What else do we need?

When my Grandpa passed away in 1968 he left me his brush and straight razor. The brush was an Ever Ready Boar brush at no more than 19mm. He wasa tall, thin farmer, but never had any problem making enough lather for a shave. I've used it and it can make an entire bowl of suds for a 4 pass shave, plus some left over.
One of my favorite brushes is the 22mm Yaqi Cola, and a couple of cheap $3 Chinese e-bay brushes get a lot of use. The 26mm Stirling Soap Brush and a couple of big honkin' Yaqi brushes are just too big and would be better suited for mopping the floor or cleaning the toilet. They make enough lather for 3 people, so a lot of soap goes to waste. They are more decorative than useful and take up space on my brush shelf. I use them on occasion and they just remind me that they're too stupidly big to be practical.
Apparently the Chinese think todays' Western shaver has a large fat face with a head the size of a basketball.
I sometimes use a 26mm Stirling Soap synthetic brush. I like it enough that I just ordered the 22mm Li'l Brudder model.

Top Bottom