What's new

What does your weekly/fortnightly diet look like?

B&B, my question to you, is what does your regular food shop look like, what does it say about your diet, and how much per week or fortnight would you spend?

I live alone, and eat mostly vegetarian. Unless my body screams out for meat I really don't have a desire for it, but will usually give myself a serving or three a month to keep up with any dietary requirements I may be missing out on.

There was a few nice recipes I've been wanting to try out including a Beetroot soup with chive cream and a nice corn bisque, so on-top of those ingredients I purchased my usual fairly rounded foods for the fortnight.

I eat fairly small portions, but whoever said eating vegetarian can be cheaper really missed the emphasis on 'can'. In order to get a good rounded diet I spend roughly $150-200 a fortnight on a myriad of lovely colorful foods.

Now keep in mind that I don't purchase sweets at all, or many processed foods and you get the idea that unless your cutting your diet down quite alot and missing out on alot of essential nutrients, then it won't be cheap. Saying that, I need to find a local farmers market or similar, grocery store prices are ridiculous on some of these foods and the quality is less than desirable, primarily the beets which were a tad old looking and still $8 per kilo, not a big fuss since they will be blended up in a soup but they aren't the nicest produce I've seen.

What I can't believe though, not even one decent tomato there, I will have to scout the local grocers for some. I did not really wish to pay $12 for a small punnet of hydroponic vine tomato's.

The big winner in my purchase today was Fennel! must be good growing conditions and low demand, $1.98 per fennel, and they are great quality and HUGE.

One thing that was an impulse buy, the tomato relish, it is absolutely delicious and will be used on some crusty baguette with wild mushrooms, roast tomato and some balsamic vinegar.

How did I round off my food shop? a nice glass of cheap port, I must say for $6 a bottle it is quite a decent daily plonk. Nothing special and doesn't blow my socks off, but it is far from crude. I also picked up a nice cookbook at the postal office.

Oh, and a nice pyrex measuring jug for $6 was good value since my plastic one has worn all of the measurements off the side.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom