What's new

What do you write with all those pens?

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I just finished editing a novel. My first two-three passes on any particular section are always done in pen-and-ink, on hard copy. Kaweco Sport Classic (black plastic), fine nib. I exclusively use J. Herbin Violette Pensee carts. Then I transfer my notes/suggestions/corrections to my computer to send back to the author. I must be the last editor alive who doesn't edit directly on a computer.
I edit on paper, too, then use that to guide me through my next cut on my computer. Easier to spot larger, structural issues that way and make parenthetical notes. Plus I can work anywhere without being tethered to some machine.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
If you'll permit me to get a little philosophical, when I started wetshaving, it was out of the desire to take an unpleasant daily chore and turn it into a delightful ritual that I looked forward to every morning. I mean, being in the Army, I had to shave anyway, so I figured I might as well make it fun. I would say wetshaving has been a rousing success and is a hobby that I deeply enjoy. Getting into fountain pens is an extension of that logic. I have to write stuff down anyway. I want to do better at showing gratitude to people who do me kindness and appreciation to those I love. I want to be deliberate about planning my time and tracking my tasks. Ordinarily, all of that would be a drudgery, but with a fountain pen, its a joy. Making it into a hobby takes it up to the next level. Its fun to use different nibs and different inks and connect with old timey ways of doing things, even if its just for a grocery list or to jot down a phone number.
Aptly put. Mirrors my relationship pens and razors, writing and shaving. We turn what would otherwise be mundane chores into pleasurable, tactile rituals. Such little things do count.

Well, let's see.

My journal, actually a couple of different journals. One's more a diary and general observations about life, the other is to log and keep track of certain things.

Unpublishable fiction.

A small notebook with new words that I learn.

Notes for work. Various forms for work.

Miscellaneous notes such as shopping lists or memos of things to check on later.

Etc.

I always have a fountain pen with me, but I usually, when out and about also have a mechanical pencil and a ballpoint. I might have more, depending on what I'm carrying.

By the way, I don't really understand the point of using ink for crossword puzzles. You really make mistakes that seldom? I might be able to do the crosswords in our local paper that way, but I do them from books at levels that are difficult for me. Pencils only.

By the way, I don't really understand the point of using ink for crossword puzzles. You really make mistakes that seldom? I might be able to do the crosswords in our local paper that way, but I do them from books at levels that are difficult for me. Pencils only.

For me, as a rule, ALWAYS a pen. Usually a red rollerball.

As much as I adore Noodler's colors, I simply abhor the ink. Out of maybe two dozen bottles I've gotten three that act like ink should. I really don't think Nathan Tardiff knows what he's doing. Have you seen any of his videos? Simply unwatchable, even at 2X speed. Diamine inks for me, though I've enjoyed Lamy and Pelikan for standard office colors of black and blueblack.

Oh boy, the short answer is everything. I take a lot of handwritten notes at work. I have taken up journaling, both for productivity and to just write down thoughts, gratitudes, etc. I have found that having some nice pens that I enjoy using makes a big difference in writing things down more and being more mindful about sending thank you notes and greeting cards. I had it in mind to get back in the habit of writing letters, but am starting with letterpress cards. The cards are just less intimidating and take less time to write. Plus, handmade letterpress cards are works of art in their own right. I would recommend to anyone that if they have a letterpress printer nearby to patronize their craft, and if not, there are lots of printers on Etsy and other websites. Letterpress cards are really so much better than the cheesy Hallmark cards at grocery stores.

If you'll permit me to get a little philosophical, when I started wetshaving, it was out of the desire to take an unpleasant daily chore and turn it into a delightful ritual that I looked forward to every morning. I mean, being in the Army, I had to shave anyway, so I figured I might as well make it fun. I would say wetshaving has been a rousing success and is a hobby that I deeply enjoy. Getting into fountain pens is an extension of that logic. I have to write stuff down anyway. I want to do better at showing gratitude to people who do me kindness and appreciation to those I love. I want to be deliberate about planning my time and tracking my tasks. Ordinarily, all of that would be a drudgery, but with a fountain pen, its a joy. Making it into a hobby takes it up to the next level. Its fun to use different nibs and different inks and connect with old timey ways of doing things, even if its just for a grocery list or to jot down a phone number.

that covers it just fine for me as well. Every and anything (99.9%) I write is with a fountain pen. I have a couple pocket pens inked, that go out with me and an A6 notepad (I also learned in the Army to always have pen and paper on hand and I’d be a success). I kept an A5 sized book for meetings, classes, etc. I have a couple house pens that are inked, and do the bulk of my writing. When I was in the office, I kept one in my desk just to have a spare, and carried my daily working pens.

still run the pocket notebook when I go out for any kind of note taking, lists, etc… transfer things from there to my A5 personalized bullet journal. Reminders, appts, notes and lists, calendar… everything but journaling get digitized as well, but that’s my back up system. Paper is my primary. Writing it out and then cross loading to digital reinforces the event and helps it stick in memory. As divers like to say, “two is one, one is none“. Redundant systems are hardly ever a bad thing.

I just finished editing a novel. My first two-three passes on any particular section are always done in pen-and-ink, on hard copy. Kaweco Sport Classic (black plastic), fine nib. I exclusively use J. Herbin Violette Pensee carts. Then I transfer my notes/suggestions/corrections to my computer to send back to the author. I must be the last editor alive who doesn't edit directly on a computer.
When I was studying translation, I found it easier to just do it on paper (translate or edit) and then on the computer.

Crossword puzzles and more crossword puzzles. Brilliant fountain pen ink makes things easier to see. I also sorta' keep a journal for projects-in-progress, though I generally do so in pencil (but fret not, it's a Kaweco).
After reading you used your FP with crossword puzzles and being dumbfounded it doesn’t feather like crazy, I decided to try it. I get The Epoch Times. I used it on the puzzle section. Worked fine! I was surprised.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
After reading you used your FP with crossword puzzles and being dumbfounded it doesn’t feather like crazy, I decided to try it. I get The Epoch Times. I used it on the puzzle section. Worked fine! I was surprised.
They have a really good puzzle section. That my wife enjoys! I'm puzzled enuff finding my way around the house! True story doggone!

To answer the question seriously:

Fountain pens live at home and are for important documents. No note-taking with them, as I just don't have the ink.

My other pens (mainly G2s and other gel pens) are for any other writing, and I keep one on me when I go out. I use green ink because nobody else here uses green, and that makes it easier to ID my handwriting.
If I'm somewhere I have to use blue or black ink (banks for example) I'll use the pens they provide.

And neither Greydog nor Farmer Tan has written me back. Mail must be super slow.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
To answer the question seriously:

Fountain pens live at home and are for important documents. No note-taking with them, as I just don't have the ink.

My other pens (mainly G2s and other gel pens) are for any other writing, and I keep one on me when I go out. I use green ink because nobody else here uses green, and that makes it easier to ID my handwriting.
If I'm somewhere I have to use blue or black ink (banks for example) I'll use the pens they provide.

And neither Greydog nor Farmer Tan has written me back. Mail must be super slow.
I have not received a snail mail letter my friend! Or anything else? I will look at my B and B inbox shortly my friend.

They have a really good puzzle section. That my wife enjoys! I'm puzzled enuff finding my way around the house! True story doggone!
Yeah, they have a lot of different puzzles. First one I do is the word search. I've liked those since I was a little kid. Then I move on to others. I never do the Sudoku type puzzles. Now you know you can give your wife a fountain pen and say, "here, use this. Trust me. It'll be fine." :)

Top Bottom