What's new

What do you do with old/spent blades?

I still have a little ways off before I end up getting a razor, however one thing that I have been wondering, is what do you do with the old spent blades? What I mean, is they're "dull" yet still sharp enough to do some major damage should you step on one(jf it punctures the bag,) should someone reach into the rubbish bin, or something else. So my question is, what do you do with the blades?

I know old houses used to have cabinets which had slots you could stick it into, which would then entail the razor blade falling into the wall, where it would be safe to all but the wrecking crew...

However I know a big thing used to be children and wives getting nasty gashes from old razor blades.. And as somebody who took a giant chunk out of his finger when a soup can lid punctured a trash bag at my old work(was taking out the trash, and somehow it happened... then the boss yelled at me for dripping blood on the floor :O) I tend to appreciate the value of something sharp!

So my question is: What do you do with the spent blades? Particularly since they are more of a danger, by far, than a cartridge is(simple: Pick it up by the edges)..

Recycle them? I'm pretty sure my local idiots would say "Hey thats not a news paper, nor is that a milk carton" followed by them ever so gracefully dropping it on the ground in the driveway!

Here ya go...
http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Double-Edge-Blade-Bank_p_45.html

It's a whole dollar.

$OP-WCS-BNK.jpg

And yes, you can take them to the recyclers... they'll take steel too.

I've just been using a small dollar store moneybox and when its full i'll just throw it out and get a new one

I use a blade bank just like the one posted above by cb91710; however, the best used blade disposal container I've seen was a neat dollar store piggybank. The blades fit nicely through the slot and they come in a bunch of fun shapes.

Thanks for the replies. I figured a hard container would probably be the solution, however the second one was sticking them into a bunch of fruit then making a fruit basket for the Xmas holiday :)... joking of course.... :p

My hobby is target shooting, I have many, many empty .22 rimfire cartridge boxes. They work perfectly as a blade bank and are free to me.

My hobby is target shooting, I have many, many empty .22 rimfire cartridge boxes. They work perfectly as a blade bank and are free to me.

Nuts, I have been throwing mine away!

Back to point: I sliced a slot in a can, rinsed it out, and in they go.

Thanks guys.

Hoosie: Thanks, I didn't realise there were so many threads... I didn't see many when I searched the forum; After I posted I saw one, but not one-hundred! Sorry about that!

Here's what I use:
proxy.php

Take a can of chicken broth, cut a slit in the top, drain, rinse clean, and dry. Paint if desired. Voila...instant blade bank. Once it's full, toss it in the recycle bin, where hopefully it'll get used to make more blades!

I string them in a stack on a couple of twist ties. By the end of the year those twist ties will be twisted down until the stack is one monolithic lump of steel. Two more twist ties will be strung through and tied down for insurance, then the lump will be tossed in the scrap metal bin at the recycling center down the road.

Attachments

• $Used_bladesc.jpg
    $Used_bladesc.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 219

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Now that Halloween is over, I guess save them up for next year.

J/K, everyone knows used hypodermic needles are what the kiddies are looking for.

I love reading all the different ideas in the various posts HossierTrooper listed. Great ideas and ingenuity at work. But for me the WCS bank looks like a winner, more bank for the buck :biggrin:

Thanks guys.

Hoosie: Thanks, I didn't realise there were so many threads... I didn't see many when I searched the forum; After I posted I saw one, but not one-hundred! Sorry about that!

And he only listed about 10% of the threads. lol

Let us know if you're going to ask about glue spots or numbers on the blades. ;)

Top Bottom