What's new

What did you give away?

This is a very generous site and lots of people pass stuff on here.
But this is for kit given away to non-forum members who for whatever reason have crossed paths with us.
There's quite a back story to this, but I had someone in my home today that I was able to give a starting kit to who is going through a a season of very tough "luck." A blue tip TTO razor, a Williams mug soap, two packs of blades and a synthetic APShave Synbad brush. Last weekend I had someone else in my home who I found out was interested in wet shaving so I set him up also with blades, soap and brush.
I'll bet this happens all the time with members here.

I dropped off all sorts of shaving stuff and much else at the (catholic) church for their weekly bazaar over the years.

In recent years I drop off at community centres. I’ve been emptying the house, all three children gone. Not shaving supplies, I’m much smarter in my buying. Clothes, machine tools, housewares. And electric bass guitars, amplifiers and a drum kit. I still have three guitars left, will get it down to one eventually.

3F7F8696-F684-47CB-8E78-132FA404A5A1.jpeg

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Well, I gave half of my life, taking care of the elderly. I not only took care of my own parents till they past away, but I also took care of the elderly neighbors.

In my experience, woman outlive men due to the fact they don't have testosterone. This leaves them widows and they can't do it all on their own especially if they were to have a fall, and can't get back up without assistance.

Unfortunately, when it comes to modern generations, they don't value their mothers and grandmother's, and would sooner stick them in a nursing home and be done with it. Because I did what I did, I was almost like an on call nurse, and I allowed these folks to stay living in their own homes, until they past away as well.

So was that me giving razors away? Nope. Was it me giving half my life to carrying for the elderly because I felt that was right? YEP! Plus you form your own family bond with these folks, they grew up during the depression, seen WWII, have lots of stories to share. I know in my heart I did good, that's what matters.

Now days I'm retired from fulfilling that role. This means I don't get to know the new neighbors. With Covid a thing now, it's the right choice. And I'm too old to be lifting up obese 200-250 pound ladies who had a fall. If I break my spine, who's going to help me? Lol!

Well, I gave half of my life, taking care of the elderly. I not only took care of my own parents till they past away, but I also took care of the elderly neighbors.

In my experience, woman outlive men due to the fact they don't have testosterone. This leaves them widows and they can't do it all on their own especially if they were to have a fall, and can't get back up without assistance.

Unfortunately, when it comes to modern generations, they don't value their mothers and grandmother's, and would sooner stick them in a nursing home and be done with it. Because I did what I did, I was almost like an on call nurse, and I allowed these folks to stay living in their own homes, until they past away as well.

So was that me giving razors away? Nope. Was it me giving half my life to carrying for the elderly because I felt that was right? YEP! Plus you form your own family bond with these folks, they grew up during the depression, seen WWII, have lots of stories to share. I know in my heart I did good, that's what matters.

Now days I'm retired from fulfilling that role. This means I don't get to know the new neighbors. With Covid a thing now, it's the right choice. And I'm too old to be lifting up obese 200-250 pound ladies who had a fall. If I break my spine, who's going to help me? Lol!
Well done! My vocation also puts me in regular contact with octogenarians and older. Love it.

I'll help you. (Just send me a PM.)

Gave a kit away to a dear friend about a month ago. He texted me one evening saying he had finally had enough of Harry's & could I recommend a good razor. Instead of giving him what he wanted, I gave him a whole kit to get him started. As of last week, he's still using it & beginning to enjoy it. I think we have another convert!

I have a bunch of times. Soaps, blades, etc. I have made a few good friends on B&B that I have traded with and bought/sold to over the last couple of years. I have been known to send stuff that I think they might like for no real reason. 😜

I am also having a draw for a new Zenith boar brush at the end of the month in the DecemBOAR thread.

Not a big deal as it is very rare for B&Bers to be a part of this community just to get free stuff. Genuinely just a great group of gentlemen that share a passion for wetshaving. And I have recieved my fair share as well.

I have passed on soap to others. Also brushes and DE blades as I usually use straights. The blades were Nacets, Bic chrome, Polsilver, and feathers so they were good blades and not ones that were no good.

I've also given a couple of Solingen straights away as they were surplus to requirements.

I've given away a few blade sampler packs, some soaps I bought or was PIF'd and couldn't handle the strong scents, and a tiny VdH badger brush I reknotted. I still think of that little badger brush, it was great!

I send razors around to a friend group that's into or interested in DE shaving. I haven't given those away yet, but the friends are as interested as I am in seeing what's available to us! Open comb, safety bar, modern, vintage, slant, gap sizes... It's great to see them enjoy stuff I wasn't keen on, too. Makes gifting even easier!

Over the years I've PIFed a number of razors, blades, brushes, soaps, and creams that didn't work out for me but I knew someone else would enjoy, or stuff that I bought on a whim and didn't really need. It's nice to spread the joy around.

I'm kind of low on kit that I could pull out and give to guests when/if the subject comes up. Given away all my vintage stuff except a stubby handled tech for travel and some very old GEM holders that I wouldn't inflict on new guys. Lots of brushes, blades and soap I can part with. With the price of food these days some people are very interested in a way to not be putting those $50 packs of Gillette disposables in their basket.

Gave a kit away to a dear friend about a month ago. He texted me one evening saying he had finally had enough of Harry's & could I recommend a good razor. Instead of giving him what he wanted, I gave him a whole kit to get him started. As of last week, he's still using it & beginning to enjoy it. I think we have another convert!
Did you encourage him to join B&B? :001_smile

In the last week I have given away three sets of brushes, an Old Spice Mug, and some soap for the mug. The brushes were home made (that is I bought handles and knots then fitted them together) finest badger. One of the soaps was some Col Conk Bay Rum and two of them were home made Old Spice (SFIC melt and pour with Old Spice Body Gel). I also passed on a new Dorco 7 Razor as one of the recipients only had an electric razor. Off hand I can remember at least five other occasions where I have passed on at least a brush if not the whole kit. Most, but not all, truly appreciated the gifts.

Today I gave away a nice tuxedo synth brush, a tube of Proraso red, and a vintage GEM razor. I gave away the gem because I'm running out of old cheap kit to give away. But I think it will serve him well. This person had a barber cut and shave recently for the first time in his life and was blown away. I told him he can have a smooth face every day with this kit.

I have recently 3 beautiful razors away (my brother who isn’t on these forums a Yates 921), a former colleague in Minnesota a NOS Gillette Tech head on a Maggard handle, another former colleague in Germany a 34c and a big assortment of Gillette blades.

My wife thinks I would give away our home because I do tend to give a lot away (not just here).

Top Bottom