What's new

What configuration for a Shavemac?

Thanks guys, this was really helpful in narrowing things down. I'll probably target a 20-22mm silvertip knot in a fan shape, with a 42-46mm loft. At least I'm in the ballpark now. I might tweak this over time if my experience with my new WD opens my eyes up to difference things, or if I just learn more about brushes in general.

Now I just have to save up... And avoid wasting that savings on a Simpson instead. They just look so damn good on paper.
You can't worry about shedding when you order a brush....it could happen with any brand, Shavemac included. If you really want a Simpsons brush, go get one! I have a few and love them.

You can't worry about shedding when you order a brush....it could happen with any brand, Shavemac included. If you really want a Simpsons brush, go get one! I have a few and love them.

I could not disagree more. I think a big reason Whipped Dog sells to many silvertips is because of the customer service, not just the low price. People get shedders, they consider that unsatisfactory, and the owner agrees. Consistency was a selling point when it came to settling on Shavemac this time around. I've also heard a couple good things about their customer service.

Sure, there can probably be a dud badger hair or a shedding knot from any manufacturer. I'm not saying Simpson brushes are bad (they're obviously not), and I will definitely purchase one in the future when I have more disposable income. The priority here is to experience a higher overall quality of brush, and I simply have less of a chance to gain that experience at the moment with a Simpson. The pattern seems quite clear no matter where you search that Simpson has issues with this. If the correlation wasn't so clear then I wouldn't have put them on the back burner.

I mostly bowl lather, but I do some face lathering, and I like a fan for its versatility.

The only Shavemac knot I've ever used is a D-01 2-band, and it has loads of backbone for good face lathering, but still soft enough for the same. You can go for a slightly taller loft and still get plenty of great backbone.

I've heard fantastic things about the 2-band silvertip for face lathering, as well.

You're going to have a hard time going wrong.

+1 on the D-01 2 band. The density of this is close to the Chubby, with gives loads of backbone, while still retaining its softness.

Last edited:
I could not disagree more. I think a big reason Whipped Dog sells to many silvertips is because of the customer service, not just the low price. People get shedders, they consider that unsatisfactory, and the owner agrees. Consistency was a selling point when it came to settling on Shavemac this time around. I've also heard a couple good things about their customer service.

Sure, there can probably be a dud badger hair or a shedding knot from any manufacturer. I'm not saying Simpson brushes are bad (they're obviously not), and I will definitely purchase one in the future when I have more disposable income. The priority here is to experience a higher overall quality of brush, and I simply have less of a chance to gain that experience at the moment with a Simpson. The pattern seems quite clear no matter where you search that Simpson has issues with this. If the correlation wasn't so clear then I wouldn't have put them on the back burner.

Just in my experience, Simpson is a top notch vendor putting out some amazing brushes, especially recent batches. I have not had a Simpson shedder, but I have had them from Rooney, Semogue and Omega. But I hear what you are saying and you make a fine choice going with Shavemac. They have the most innovative ordering process, wonderful variety of knots, and absolutely agree on their great customer service. They are not infallible - I have read threads about quality issues from Shavemac as well, but their customer service made things right on those issues. But generally speaking they are known for consistent quality. I had two that were very high quality, but just did not suit me. I will certainly try again with Shavemac down the road.

Whipped Dog combines top notch customer service with rock bottom prices. I've never ordered an FS or LJ or another brush from China just due to the hassle. Unfortunately the WD knots seem prone to shedding, more so than I've seen elsewhere.

My experience, the German stuff is the highest quality. Shavemac, Thater, and Muhle. All top notch. The English stuff is generally very good but I've seen inconsistency. The Chinese stuff is all over the map, from crappy to amazing.

I'm not sure how old it is, but the Simpson Duke 3 Best I have is denser than the Shavemac Americana D01 3-band. Softer all around too. But I really prefer the German silvertips in 2-band and 3-band.

Yeah I'm very happy that I chose Whipped Dog as my entry point into badger brushes. Larry is taking care of my shedder this week, and I'm getting a whole new experience with a different brush once it arrives. Tough to find an instance where you can get any more out of a $35 investment.

Top Bottom