What's new

What Audiobooks are Cued Up in the Car?

I spend more than an hour a day driving to and from work, and for years, listened to satellite radio or local sports talk. Occasionally, I would queue up music on my phone. Last fall, I started listening to audiobooks and radio dramas almost exclusively, and I've found my commutes are a lot more pleasant. With one reader providing all of the voices that go along with the books, I am amazed at what they can do (Jim Dale's work with the Harry Potter books are amazing). As a service to fellow B&B commuters, please share the good reads you're listening to.

To get us started:

Great stories:
Lisey's Story, Stephen King, read by Mare Winningham

Great stories and great performances in the read:
Cuckoo's Calling, Robert Galbraith (JK Rowling), read by Robert Glenister
American Gods (unabridged), Neil Gaiman, read by Robert Guidall

I order books from my public library and save them to my itunes account. I usually keep at least 5 books on my phone at any one time. Once I listen to the book I delete it from my phone and itunes.

I have found that the story isn't as important as the narrator. A great narrator makes the book. A bad one makes the best book awful.

I do a lot of searches at the library by narrator. Some of my favorites are Richard Ferrone, Ron McClarty, Jim Dale, Tony Roberts,

I totally agree about the narrator. I just finished Kerouac's On the Road narrated by David Carradine, and it sounded like he was sitting in his kitchen eating a sandwich.

Top Bottom