What's new

What Animal have you seen in the wild, that was a rarity for you ?

This little gray tree frog was singing in a plant outside my window the other day. I wanted to leave him there and see if he would stick around and keep singing to us, but he already had our cats attention too. Kitty has already killed at least 3 birds this spring so I moved the frog to the bushes on the edge of our yard.

Attachments

• $DSCF8916.jpg
    $DSCF8916.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 78
Before I tell you my story, I'll preface it by asking you not to judge too hard.

About 10 or 11 years ago, I was working at a restaurant on Cape San Blas, FL. I was a smoker at the time and was taking a break on the back deck. The restaurant backed up to the wood line and it is located in the national park there. I looked up and I clearly watched what I could only describe as a black panther walk slowly towards me. I would estimate he was about 36in tall and probably around 120lbs. He stopped, looked me directly in the eyes, then turned around and walked right back into the woods. I remember being paralyzed as I looked into his big yellow eyes. He was about 10 to 15 ft away from me and I could hear him breathing.

I went back inside and told a coworker who happened to be a park ranger about what I just saw and he proceeded to inform me that I was crazy! I know everybody says oh it was just a bobcat but I've lived in FL my entire life and spent countless years in the woods and I KNOW it wasn't a bobcat.

This is something that will stick with me for the rest of my life no matter what anybody tells me. I know what I saw and I am extremely lucky to have witnessed such a rarity in my lifetime.

As I said before, dont judge to hard!

Last edited:

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Surprisingly, this one. I was taking a break from yard work and he came over to visit. Strange to find this a rarity but it's the first one I've seen down here.

proxy.php

Saw a black bear in Yosemite. Bobcat and wild pigs in Wilder Ranch near Santa Cruz. Wolf (unfortunately dead) along 1488 near Magnolia. Bald Eagle soaring over the lake in The Woodlands. Probably the coolest thing was a octopus the dive leader in Hawaii brought up (and chose my youngest daughter to hold for pictures). I never would have touched it. :blushing:

Three Bald Eagles circling overhead in Kayenta, AZ one early morning.
A Sidewinder as I was walking along the sandy shores of the Salt River in AZ.
Lots of wild Pigs here in Germany and the usual deer, Red Foxes and Jackalopes.

Roughly 10 years ago, my wife and I were hiking all day in a remote area of Point Reyes National Seashore. We hadn't seen anyone for 4-5 hours and it was still a good 1 hour back to the car as dusk fell. We weren't too concerned hiking in the dark as the trail was easy and clear, but then we caught sight several times of a mountain lion behind us, off the trail. We definitely picked up the pace back to the car and walked with very, very frequent glances over our shoulders. Cool experience, but also somewhat unnerving.

While Scuba Diving in Trinidad & Tobago, a $thNWOTW9ZT.jpgGiant Manta Ray came along and offered everyone their own ride. That's why the local guide called him a "Tobago Taxi"

First camping trip with our new to us Pop-up and our dog, Charlie found a box turtle, she was pretty big....but what she was doing I had never seen before:
$13394160_10209676287173432_5026994109637722329_n.jpg$13269267_10209676287573442_7804551379010205593_n.jpg

I grew up hunting so I've seen pretty much all that Nebraska has to offer and then some.

The rarest thing I've seen that is a bit odd for our part of the state is an elk.

We do have some wild elk in Nebraska but most of them are on the northern and western boarder of our state which is 3-5 hours from here.

I have heard stories about my parents and grandparents spotting them now and again back when they were younger but this was my first.

I was even able to capture a photo of the young bull right after he crossed the road.

proxy.php

Something a bit MORE odd for our state was a fairly tame moose that has been wandering a few local towns within the past few months.

I've never heard of a moose sighting in Nebraska.

Here's the young bull.

proxy.php

We went to my in-laws near San Jose California last month and hiked into an open space park about three blocks from their house. On the way back we passed an open filed where there was a small deer at one end and this coyote on the other:

$Coyote.jpg

We went to my in-laws near San Jose California last month and hiked into an open space park about three blocks from their house. On the way back we passed an open filed where there was a small deer at one end and this coyote on the other:

View attachment 678243

Isn't it funny how species of animals range so widely from state to state?

Coyotes and deer are a sight you could see on a daily basis here in Nebraska.

Isn't it funny how species of animals range so widely from state to state?

Coyotes and deer are a sight you could see on a daily basis here in Nebraska.

Very true. And even in San Jose deer are pretty common, as late at night they wander down into the neighborhoods and eat leaves and other plants from residents' yards. Seeing the coyote was a bit unusual, especially so close to a pretty long established neighborhood.

Here in Texas deer are pretty common,especially up in the sticks where I live. Armadillos are really common but you usually see them belly up on the sides of roads (only have seen three alive). But just about every road and highway has a few dead alongside.

Very true. And even in San Jose deer are pretty common, as late at night they wander down into the neighborhoods and eat leaves and other plants from residents' yards. Seeing the coyote was a bit unusual, especially so close to a pretty long established neighborhood.

Here in Texas deer are pretty common,especially up in the sticks where I live. Armadillos are really common but you usually see them belly up on the sides of roads (only have seen three alive). But just about every road and highway has a few dead alongside.

I'm going to Texas (Amarillo) for my very first time.......I hope I see an armadillo!

Perhaps I could bake a shave bowl out of his shell. :lol:

Top Bottom