What's new

What a difference a blade makes

About two weeks ago I received this
2021.06.13 - WR2 and blades.jpeg
WR2 from Wolfman (1.15 DE standard polish). Had a WR1 and wanted to try the 2. I reflexively started using it with the blades I like best in my WR1 -- Bic and Personna. Neither felt right. Then tried a Feather and a 7 O'Clock Yellow. I just couldn't get an easy and comfortable a shave. I was about to give up on the razor and BST it, but then I opened my blade pouch and saw a GSB, a blade I rarely use as I find a bit mild in my other razors. Well, I tried it. Bam! The razor just clicked in. Thinking it was perhaps a fluke, I've now done three shaves with two GBS, and always a fine result. Went back to a Bic; didn't like it again. So, basically, the lesson is that trying a different blade can make a world of difference. At least it did for me.

I was interested in the post from SLRNY above. The underlying message is how YMMV blades may be.

I had an opposite experience with the GSB blades. I have about 40 DE razors and all the razors seem to have a positive relationship with all my blades, except . . . the GSB. I bought about 50 GSB blades off Amazon, and they were so bad in my razors that painfully I ended up trashing them.

You were not the only one
I always considered my qshave adjustable futul an angry snarling beast lashing out whenever possible

until I matched it with a gsb and it went a purring kitten

I'm the opposite as you, starting with the WR2 and recently getting a WR1 which I don't feel I've found the right blade for yet. I'll try the Big and Persona.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Totally agree. I was amused that you found the GSB too mild in your other razors, something I've never experienced with that particular blade. YMMV for sure.

If there is anyone who recently has started to shave in a traditional way, I recommend them to have a look at this specific topic and they will easily see and understand that blade choices are completely YMMV thing. And a person should find the best one that suits him/her. We can, of course, tell whether a blade is sharp or not, but I believe that there are not "best" blades, there can be "best for me" blades only. It also depends on shaving frequency, beard type, pre-shave routine etc. etc. Great post, Sir!

I love the Gillette brand of blades, honestly any of them work amazing for me, after looking at most of my blades, just about all of them are Gillette brands. I've had some horrible luck with the following.

These blades don't work for me
Rapira
Shark
Bic
Equinox

These blades do work for me
Treet any of them
Gillette any of them
Wilkinson any of them

It's like once you find that happy medium, then why change to anything else other then for sheer boredom or just to change to change.

I will agree with all the above. It took me a long time to figure out different razors work best with certain blades for me. My Timeless Ti .68SB seems to work best with a Gillette Platinum, My Att Windsor is better with a GSB and I have others that work best with a Personna Israeli Red. Guess this is where it pays to sample different blades in different razors to find that perfect fit. As mentioned before YMMV.

I don’t know if I am in the right thread-
I am acquiring, it’s in the mail, a 1914-21 Gillette Bulldog to shave with. I am wondering which blade to start with.
I have winnowed my shaving today a Gillette pre-war Tech with a Polsilver blade and finishing with a Gillette 30’s Deluxe with an Astra green.
I am getting wonderful shaves.
What/where should I start with Bulldog?
Thanks!

I will split your claim in two parts:
  • fix the razor, change the blade: the difference is noticeable. Only about 10% of all blades from samplers I have tried work for me
  • fix the blade, change the razor: this is where I belong to a minority in the forum. If a blade does not work for me, no razor can make it work - I have tried OCs, a slant and I currently use an adjustable SB.

Top Bottom