What's new

Well, I am going to start...

I have a Dovo Best Quality 5/8 on its way to me as we speak, and I am going to begin the straight shaving journey. I have been reading as much as I can but I wanted to ask one question:

What is the one article, video, wiki, post that helped you the most as you started straight shaving?

I have checked out a lot but would love to continue to read more and I thought this might help get me some more stuff to read up on before my razor and other stuff arrive.

You will soon find out how deep the rabbit hole goes:001_cool:

Start here.

Keep posting your questions so we can see how you're doing.

One thing though is not to over complicate it. Take one thing at a time and find the one thing that works and stick with it before venturing out because that when frustration sets in. Most of all have fun.

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I read a bunch of good ones, and suggest that you read as much as you can, but there is simply no substitute for bringing the blade to your face. No matter how prepared you think you are, it's a whole new ball game when you fly solo.

Just go nice and easy and you'll get there.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member

Start here.

One thing though is not to over complicate it. Take one thing at a time and find the one thing that works and stick with it before venturing out because that when frustration sets in. Most of all have fun.

+1

And ask all the questions you need

Thanks everyone!

I did have one question. I watched a video of Lynn Abrams shaving:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7466711741780429878#

It looks like he goes over areas that he has already shaved (areas that don't have any lather anymore). Is that no problem with a straight razor or is that just because he has super tough skin?

If I did that on my neck with my DE I would get some serious razor burn.

Thanks,

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Thanks everyone!

I did have one question. I watched a video of Lynn Abrams shaving:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7466711741780429878#

It looks like he goes over areas that he has already shaved (areas that don't have any lather anymore). Is that no problem with a straight razor or is that just because he has super tough skin?

If I did that on my neck with my DE I would get some serious razor burn.

Thanks,

Some can take the razor going over a surface without lather. That is, if you shaved the surface and it's not more than, let's say, 30 seconds. Not everyone can do this.

Best of luck! One of these days, I think I'll take the plunge! Thanks for posting the information, folks! Time to read!

You will soon find out how deep the rabbit hole goes

Those words are so true :sneaky2:

Good luck nathanb, there is a learning curve but once you get good I don't think you will go back to anything else.

Start here.

no truer words were spoken, not the least of which is to have fun. there really is no leaping past the experience factor so remember that patience is going to be the best tool in your kit.

Ian

Top Bottom