What's new

Water Jug

Figured I would ask this here for all the outdoors guys.

Im looking to buy a half gallon water jug for when Im out in the sweltering heat all day. In your experience, what brand (preferably available at Wal-Mart) performs the best at keeping water cold? I would be filling the jug with ice in the morning and pouring water into it. I would like it to keep ice or at least stay cold for 8 hours or longer.

I like my little "Bubba Keg" cooler. I also have one of the 52 oz covered mugs that keeps ice mosto of the day. Just keep it in the shade.

I like my little "Bubba Keg" cooler. I also have one of the 52 oz covered mugs that keeps ice mosto of the day. Just keep it in the shade.

Thats pretty cool but not specifically what I was looking for.
proxy.php

Looking for one along this line. I guess it really boils down to Igloo vs Coleman.

Looking for one that doesnt leak, keeps ice for long periods in the heat (6+ hours at high 80-low 90 degree heats), and is durable.

proxy.php

Looking for one along this line. I guess it really boils down to Igloo vs Coleman.

Looking for one that doesnt leak, keeps ice for long periods in the heat (6+ hours at high 80-low 90 degree heats), and is durable.

Make big ice cubes in plastic beer cups, and chill the cooler in the freezer overnight. (don't put water in the cooler and try to freeze it.) that should get you 8 hours.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
These small jugs usually do not have insulated lids. If you can find something that does, then you are ahead of the pack. Remember to keep it in the shade. A wet rag wrapped around it will help to keep it cold, especially if it is in a breezy, shady place.

If you will be in a hot environment all day, better figure on two gallons, not a half gallon. You will drink a gallon easy. A splash on the face can be refreshing, too.

Of course this all sounds like a lot of hassle to me. Nothing wrong with warm water to drink. Butch up, buttercup.

These small jugs usually do not have insulated lids. If you can find something that does, then you are ahead of the pack. Remember to keep it in the shade. A wet rag wrapped around it will help to keep it cold, especially if it is in a breezy, shady place.

If you will be in a hot environment all day, better figure on two gallons, not a half gallon. You will drink a gallon easy. A splash on the face can be refreshing, too.

Of course this all sounds like a lot of hassle to me. Nothing wrong with warm water to drink. Butch up, buttercup.

Haha.

Idk I just like some cold water after a nice training burn. Carrying around a 2gallon container would be inconvenient with all the fire gear, thats why Im opting for the half gallon container.

In AZ the gas stations had insulated mugs for sale up to 100oz. Used one of those daily for a long time. Serves well enough in 130 degree heat. Don't know if that is what you were looking for, but it worked for me.

proxy.php

This was what I had in mind.

http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=7MnrTf2VLer30gGA962PAQ&ved=0CEEQ8wIwAw#

I saw one similar in an Atwoods farm and ranch yesterday with a top spout. They also have models up to I think 384 oz, with a bottom spout.

We have one a couple of years older, with a botton dispensing spout we use on long trips and trips to the rifle range I just looked and it's 128 oz or 1 gal. Looks somewhat like this, but style has changed a little
http://www.amazon.com/Bubba-Brands-Cooler-Rugged-Green/dp/B003XFNWRM

Last edited:
go to your local organic food store and head for the pure water section, you should find one gallon water jugs that are food grade plastic. Fill it up, freeze it the night before and you are good to go.

go to your local organic food store and head for the pure water section, you should find one gallon water jugs that are food grade plastic. Fill it up, freeze it the night before and you are good to go.

When I was a kid and was going to be out all day in the summer, I'd fill up an empty 2-liter and freeze it, as it melted I always had cold water. The condensation on the outside was almost as valuable.

Top Bottom