What's new

Washer sizes for peening a razor

Hi,
I going to start repeening gold dallors. Just to regrind the blade, and I plan on using the same scales and just reepening them. I need to know what size to get. I don't have a clue were to start. I've read that some use I think ?? #80 on the inside of the scales, and #0 on the out side of scales, but I've read that some use #00 on the outside, and 00 wide on the inside. Is the #80 washer, 1/16" inside the hole? What is the size of the hole on the on the # 0 and #00 ? Any suggestions? Please!

Thanks,
Mike

These are my 'outside' washers.
These are the washers I use

Stainless
Fastener Express for tiny 00 size.
#0 Flat Washer NAS620 CO 18-8 Stainless
FWSO-7A3 - Item# 31314

Microfasteners
FWS01 - #1 Flat Washers - Stainless
FWS00 - #0 Flat Washers - Stainless

Brass

Microfasteners
#0 - FBW0
#0 Wide - FWBW0
#1 - FWB1

Hi @Gamma ,
what washers do you use inside?
in relation to the outside washers, can you stack them to create a bullseye effect?
thank you for your help.
Graham

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Why would you put washers inside the scales? There is no reason to do that. Just makes the razor flop loosely. Serves no purpose unless you have a gold plated tang which is in itself kind of a bad idea. If to correct a razor that doesn't center, there are much better ways to address that.

outside washers, size 0, 1/16" like everyone else said. Yes you can stack. www.microfasteners.com is one source for all purpose washers. The usual suspects for specialized washers... Maggard's, etc.

Hi @Gamma ,
what washers do you use inside?
in relation to the outside washers, can you stack them to create a bullseye effect?
thank you for your help.
Graham

Can you stack them? Yes, any type of washer can be stacked.
I always use thrust washers, stops the tang from wearing the scales on the inside. Can also help the blade align better. They tighten up just fine, every single razor I've disasssembled has always been fitted with them during reassembly.
They work great, and - historically - they've been a pretty common addition to higher-priced offerings. Doesn't mean it's a must, but it's something that makes sense to me. I use them, and the results are good.
The washers above are too thick to use on the inside. The thrust washers I use were made for that purpose, I get them from a razor manufacturer in Germany.

Top Bottom