What's new

Wanted: Compact, High Quality gas Grill

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I have a large gas grill with all the bells and whistles. I need a small, preferably free standing, but built like a tank, gas grill. I'm not a tailgater, but I suspect something made for this market might suit my needs. What suggestions do you have ?

I use the Weber Q 320 for everything and love it. For me, I wouldn't want anything any bigger or smaller. I use it on the deck but you can remove the 20# tank, roll it on its wheels, throw it in the back of the pickup and take it to the park if you want.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2864833&cp=4235681.11155968

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-586002-Portable-Outdoor-Propane/dp/B000WOVZ26/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1341111920&sr=8-6&keywords=weber+grill

If you want something even more portable, check out the Weber Q 200 series. They use the little 1# tanks. The 200 series have a portable folding stand you can buy.

http://www.weber.com/explore/grills/gas-portable/weber-q-220-2

Last edited:
Coleman makes so small, portable/collapsible grills that can be used with the smaller propane cylinders or the larger ones. Very sturdy grills, too.

That's kind of like saying "What's the best razor?" I guess I would want to know more about how you intend to use the compact grill before offering random suggestions. Do you need a tabletop or one with legs? Using the little bottles or the 20 lb ones? Is weight an issue? Rust resistance? Grill area?

At Big Lots this weekend I saw a two burner, Grill 2 Go type of grill that was full height, had wheels, a small area, and used the 1 lb bottles. It's perfect for me to wheel out of the garage and around behind my apartment building for a quick cook out or to load in the car and take to the park. A tabletop grill wasn't so good a fit because there was nothing to set it on behind the apartment.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Thanks for the reply's. I like the Weber quality. Rust resistance is important, Grilling surface longevity is primary, surface area needs are modest, mostly cooking for two. For larger functions I have my big grill. Although freestanding is preferred, a table top model is doable. I would like the option of using the 20# tanks, Weber has a conversion kit for their Q series, but there seems to be frequent regulator issues when using the big tanks. This would mostly be used for week end get a ways, the rare camping trip or hunting camp use.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Well I have totally done an about face because I needed a grill for the 4th. ASAP and did not have time to consider all the variables of a portable gas grill. I have always been a gas guy, but have recently become intrigued with charcoal. So I went and bought a Weber Gold 22.5 grill (yesterday) for use today along with my first time use of lump charcoal. Cooked burgers, hotdogs, kabobs and ribs successfully, but I will say there is a learning curve to temp management with the basic charcoal grill that is foreign to me. I may eventually get a Weber Q 220 and deal with the known issues of using a 20# tank with it, but it was not to be had in time for the 4th.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Magma. They make some excellent stainless steel gas grills for yachts. They make both rectangular types with articulating grill racks, and small kettle types. They are the ones you see in most marinas, clamped to handrails. There are lots of mounting options including legs for tabletopping, but lots of Magma owners simply fabricate a mount to suit their individual needs. I have one on my stern and I use it almost daily. It is small and compact, and it takes a lot to blow the flame out.

I have always been a gas guy, but have recently become intrigued with charcoal. So I went and bought a Weber Gold 22.5 grill (yesterday) for use today along with my first time use of lump charcoal. Cooked burgers, hotdogs, kabobs and ribs successfully, but I will say there is a learning curve to temp management with the basic charcoal grill that is foreign to me.
Until you get the hang of the temperature management you may want to set your coals such that you have a cool spot with sparse coals, a hot spot with extra coals, and have a gradient in between. That way you just move the food to warmer and cooler spots on the grill as needed. As you gain experience with coal you will be able to judge how to build your fire to suit what you are cooking.

I recently got a Coleman RoadTrip LXX grill (and the adapter to use a standard size propane tank) for use both as my main grill and as an ersatz camp stove. I really like it, but it heats up a lot faster than some of the other grills I've used. 22,000 BTU on a small(ish) grilling surface can do a number on your meats if you're not careful... I treat my medium on the RoadTrip as high on any other grill, and only use high to sear with.

I have seen some small free standing propane grills that are not table top modules. Cooking area is about the same size as the Weber Smokey Joe table top grills. They are marketed for those who don't wish to devote much space for the grill.

I'd recommend the Coleman gas grills as well, either RoadTrip LXE or LXX. Both works great, it has its own stand as well and you can easily transport it since it has wheels and can be folded compactly for easy pulling. You can read the reviews for each on Best Gas Grills Guide, respectively for the best gas grills under 500 dollars and best portable gas grill.

But if you're looking for more like a tabletop gas grills, I'd also probably go with a Magma Chefsmate. Hope that helps! :001_tongu

My father has a Weber. He abuses that think like nobody's business. It has yet to rust and still works perfectly. I would pay the premium and get a Weber. Good luck!

Two are better than one, then why not two burner gas grills? Having the best 2 burner gas grills 2019 at home is actually good if you are inviting many guests to a barbecue party or celebrating something important etc.

For parties, fast cooking is necessary because you have to serve many people at a time. That’s why it is important to have a 2 burner gas grill so you can cook fast and serve the food to maximum people in short time.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Son in law and daughter use a Weber E-210. I have a Spirit in the 300 series. If I had it to do over, I would get the E-210.

The Weber Spirit 2. I’d bought cheap grills up till last year and they always rusted out. Especially the grates. Cheap pot metal. This thing is solid, cast iron grates. It’s a little pricy - around $400, but it’s worth it.

Top Bottom