What's new

Want to try Tabac - which form should I get?

+1

I would get it in the milk glass bowl as it comes vs shave stick or a refill to put in your own mug. I have gone through many pucks of Tabac but unfortunately broke my first bowl (they can be slippery). I replaced it years ago and it is one of the classic containers in all of shavedom. I strongly suggest going that route. Others will disagree but I just think it makes the total Tabac experience.

I would get it in the milk glass bowl as it comes vs shave stick or a refill to put in your own mug. I have gone through many pucks of Tabac but unfortunately broke my first bowl (they can be slippery). I replaced it years ago and it is one of the classic containers in all of shavedom. I strongly suggest going that route. Others will disagree but I just think it makes the total Tabac experience.
+1

Wow. All the bowl lovers. More power to you if that's your preference.

I'd get the stick even if the stick was more expensive. In fact I have a stick of Tabac in my shower right now.

So, being a newbie and thus never having used a stick version of any shaving soap here is my naive question. How much of a beard do you need to use a stick?

The reason I ask is I shave every morning and so while you can see a shadow of whiskers on my face it it not a dense forest by any stretch of one's imagination. Would I even have enough stubble to drag a stick across to have a decent amount of soap applied from which to build a lather?

Inquiring minds and newbie cheeks want to know.

Tim

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
You would almost certainly be able to get enough soap. You don't need a pirate beard to use a shave stick. When you rub soap on, say, your foot, soap gets on your foot, even if there is no hair.

So, being a newbie and thus never having used a stick version of any shaving soap here is my naive question. How much of a beard do you need to use a stick?

The reason I ask is I shave every morning and so while you can see a shadow of whiskers on my face it it not a dense forest by any stretch of one's imagination. Would I even have enough stubble to drag a stick across to have a decent amount of soap applied from which to build a lather?

Inquiring minds and newbie cheeks want to know.

Tim

My thinning old man's beard gets shaved every day, usually with a stick. You'll be fine.

When you rub soap on, say, your foot, soap gets on your foot, even if there is no hair.

Clearly your not a hobbit.

I have only tried Tabac in its most 'famous' form (?) and that is the soap puck in the iconic bowl. I love it. That container is lovely quality, and soap in amazing. Just terrific. so no regrets here. I haven't tried the stick or the cream so i have no idea how they compare.

I bought the shaving bowl with soap insert at first and loved it so much I bought a stick for travel. I am still so glad that I got the bowl though.

Bought the puck and ceramic dish, figured if I didn't like it I would use the dish for some other puck. Tabac is now my favorite and have a few pucks just waiting to go in the dish. Great soap, great smell.

Not the most economical but I bought mine as the puck that comes in the glass bowl. As mentioned, it will be slippery but I avoid problems by leaving it on the counter, holding it with one hand, and lathering with the other.

Top Bottom