What's new

Wade and Butcher Dates

Is there a way to tell the date of a W&B from the stamping on the tang?

I know that most of those I have seen have this stamp:
proxy.php

But mine lacks this.

I would really like to narrow down the age of mine if at all possible.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Second-hand info, but I seem to recall that round about the start of the 20th Century they added "England"; so from the look of it I'd say yours was 19th Century.

Hopefully those who know better will clarify.

Cant see the length of the monkey tail but if the scales are horn and it is a wedge (in bad shape) could be civil war ish.

Here is the best one I have at the moment.
Getting ready for bed, will post more pics either tomorrow morning, or some time this weekend.
proxy.php

The 1891 Madrid Trade Accords required the country of origion be on the item not just the city where it was manufactured. This razor is therefore earlier than 1892. Blade shape and honey horn scales incicates 1850-1860s as an educated guess.

John Crowley
http://www.ShavingShop.com

Last edited:
This is funny: I googled "1891 Madrid Trade Accords", since I had never heard of them.

Guess what's number 3 in the search results? This thread.

Madrid System for the International Registration of Marks
The Madrid system for the international registration of marks (the Madrid system) established in 1891 functions under the Madrid Agreement (1891), and the Madrid Protocol (1989). It is administered by the International Bureau of WIPO located in Geneva, Switzerland.

Thanks to the international procedural mechanism, the Madrid system offers a trademark owner the possibility to have his trademark protected in several countries by simply filing one application directly with his own national or regional trademark office (members of the Madrid Union available in PDF). An international mark so registered is equivalent to an application or a registration of the same mark effected directly in each of the countries designated by the applicant. If the trademark office of a designated country does not refuse protection within a specified period, the protection of the mark is the same as if it had been registered by that Office. The Madrid system also simplifies greatly the subsequent management of the mark, since it is possible to record subsequent changes or to renew the registration through a single procedural step. Further countries may be designated subsequently.

It is one of the very few dates that can be associated with straight razors. Another one is celluloid. It didn't come into common use until the 1870s.

Mine has the (B >----> + ) symbol under sheffield. Since yours doesn't might be a few years earlier than mine - pre 1850's

Last edited:
Top Bottom