What's new

Voskhod equivalents? In your experience.

I find Tatras and Ladas to be more or less close to Voskhods.

I wish Putin had called me before launching the invasion, I would've bought 1000 Voskhods.

The Slavs really know how to make their blades.

Perhaps Sputnik, made by Gillette/PPI. I believe the Voskhod is an "homage" to the Sputnik, Sputnik being a well known old Soviet brand.

Both feature a Teflon coating, one named after a famed Soviet satellite (Sputnik), the other named after a famed Soviet spacecraft.

And similarly, Rapira Platinum Lux/Stainless from the same company, compared to Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus/ Super Stainlees (Super Stainless now discontinued):

1699154466827.png

1699154506588.png

1699155429811.png

1699155738198.png

Perhaps Sputnik, made by Gillette/PPI. I believe the Voskhod is an "homage" to the Sputnik, Sputnik being a well known old Soviet brand.
That’s a good one. 👍 Might be as hard or harder than Voskhods to find though.

1699156492886.jpeg

I need to dig out a Sputnik to try. I bought 100 a few years ago, but as with the Ladas, I just don’t remember my thoughts on the blade. I really need to take notes!

That’s a good one. 👍 Might be as hard or harder than Voskhods to find though.

View attachment 1743700

I need to dig out a Sputnik to try. I bought 100 a few years ago, but as with the Ladas, I just don’t remember my thoughts on the blade. I really need to take notes!
I bought some in Ukraine a few years ago, a quality blade as I recall. Oddly, there's a bunch of Soviet-era Sputniks on Ebay but no modern Gillette ones.

B&B member Ivan did note a packet of PPI Sputniks with production as recent as March 2023, I believe.

I bought some in Ukraine a few years ago, a quality blade as I recall. Oddly, there's a bunch of Soviet-era Sputniks on Ebay but no modern Gillette ones.

B&B member Ivan did note a packet of PPI Sputniks with production as recent as March 2023, I believe.
What does PPI refer to?

Voskhods are not an homage to Sputnik. Both were manufactured in the Soviet Union by different plants. Sputnik since at least 1958 (Leningrad plant that was bought by Gillette in the 90s). Voskhods at least since 1975 by Mostochlegmash in Moscow. Those were the only two blade manufacturing plants in the USSR as far as I can remember. They made other stuff too. Mostochlegmash even now continues to manufacture needles.

I meant "homage" as in the sense of a "homage watch", where a company produces a watch that looks like a Rolex model. Surely packaging/naming similarities are not coincidental?

Top Bottom