What's new

Visiting The Fountain Pen Hospital with Snurgblat

As many have seemed to enjoy my write-up on visiting a NYC landmark on shaving, (Pasteur's Pharmacy), I decided to drop by another NYC landmark, The Fountain Pen Hospital, and see what I could get away with before security intervened.

The Fountain Pen Hospital, ("FPH" from now on), is an established institution in lower Manhattan conveniently located near public transportation, so you can easily take a PATH to the WTC station or muck about the subway and find yourself within a short walk to it.

FPH was established in 1946 by the Wiederlight family, who still own it today, per their website. You can view and order much online, but with the friendliness and amount of products they have, visiting in person is a true pleasure. (As one of the employees noted, quite aptly, it is the only one in NY with all that it has.) He isn't being misleading, they have countless brands of fountain pens, (new and vintage); inks; other types of pens; paper and journals; books; tools; cartridges; and a guy in the back named Sal who, for ten bucks will give you a back rub and a shot of cheap whisky.

In any event, and in my usual style, I am going to just barf up a ton of photographs of the place for you to expand and ogle.

Easily found from the street.

20180806_144816.jpg

20180806_144814.jpg

And products galore!!!

20180806_152410.jpg

20180806_152415.jpg

20180806_152433.jpg

20180806_152441.jpg

20180806_152448.jpg

20180806_152451.jpg

20180806_152523.jpg

20180806_152528.jpg

(Continuing in next post. . .)

20180806_152530.jpg

20180806_152540.jpg

20180806_152545.jpg

20180806_152714.jpg

I managed to get out of there with spending less than $100.00, so my wife only bullwhipped me instead of murdering me. Pictures are in full, so you should be able to blow them up and look closely. Wasn't able to capture everything, but I figured some of you might appreciate this store.

-Snurgblat a/k/a Justin

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I’m not much of a fountain pen guy but that store makes me want to dive in head first.

Thanks for sharing!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Love your nyc tours / reviews! I've been to this shop several years ago now. Was great to see the pictures!

Thanks for sharing. I'll have to live vicariously through your pics as I would love to go there, but don't see myself getting to NYC any time soon.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the great photos. I have only dealt with Ed via phone but personally find FPH fantastic to work with. When I see a shop like this I can see why they are great.

I worked in downtown Manhattan for close to 30 years. A colleague and I visited the FPH for all of our fountain pen needs. It's great to see it continues its tradition. I sent them a Waterman pen for repair several years ago and they fixed it at a reasonable cost.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thanks for the photo's, it certainly looks like a great place to visit. I would be overwhelmed there.

strop

Now half as wise
No trip to NYC is complete without a visit to FPH. They are not open on weekends, though, so plan accordingly. Unfortunately, I was not able to get out of there as easily as you. Just too much seemed to be calling my name.

The joke is on me. I made a special trip to visit FPH while I was in NYC. They are closed on Saturdays and Sundays.

I had never heard of this place until yesterday, and I have lived in NYC since the 1980s!

I went there for the first time today and it is a delight.
Places like this are a real throwback. They have been vanishing from the scene here.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I had never heard of this place until yesterday, and I have lived in NYC since the 1980s!

I went there for the first time today and it is a delight.
Places like this are a real throwback. They have been vanishing from the scene here.
Glad this thread came back. Did you buy anything? Its a great place to be sure

Top Bottom