What's new

Virginia Sheng Badger Knots?

Has anyone tried any of the badger knots from Virginia Sheng? I'm tempted to try one. I don't so much mind potentially wasting money on a knot or two to find out if they're decent. I just don't want to waste one of my waiting vintage handles. So, can anyone vouch for these? Are they junk? Or, am I to be the guinea pig? I may have to pick up a random cheap handle just to try one of these out.

http://stores.ebay.com/Virginia-Shaving-Beauty-Store?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I saw those on the bay. Interesting. Nice price. Ought to make great high end newbie brushes, or travel (expendable!) brushes.

I have several - all have been excellent quality knots. Very happy with them.

She was very good to deal with too.

Over the last six months I've gotten knots from 6 different sources in China - sampling each to see what I liked.

Virginia's were one of the best. She (they) don't make them however - they are a broker/distributor for a factory. Didn't matter to me - they were one of the few who I felt didn't nickle and dime me too badly and also allowed for PayPal - makes a difference when ordering from China. I didn't realize Virginia was selling on the bay yet. I dealt directly with her.

So...ummm yeah. I guess I have a few from her ;)

$sheng_1.jpg

Last edited:
The official measurement is at the puck, however you need both measurements to properly install a replacement knot.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I just grabbed one of her 26mm silvertip brushes and three small "pure" brushes which look to be about 21mm and are probably "black" badger rather than "pure". Pure maybe, in the sense that there is no goat, dog, yak, donkey, or rabbit hair in the knot but not pure as in grade. Anyway at $28.80 for the big silvertip and $6.50 for the blacks, I am not expecting much and I figure I might be pleasantly surprised. The small brushes I might start reselling in a kit with pasted balsa, $3 Chinese strop, and shave ready GD. At that price I think I can make a little bit and still get some newbies kitted up for a reasonable entry cost. I suppose I could even source some cheap mugs and throw in a puck of VDH or a tube of Godrej. "Nothing more to buy" is only a sad state of affairs for some of us! Anyway I will report back when I get a chance to try them, which will be a few weeks yet as I am still on a ship.

I used one in a brush I ended up trading. Bought very highly of it from a visual/softness standpoint. It was a 19mm Finest. I let it go before really breaking it in, but it seemed to be a quality knot. No shedding in my test lathers.

I have ordered 3 knots to check them out. All silver tips. Two 20mm and one 22mm. Just turned a handle for one of the small knots. I will also report my experience.

Alpster, I'm interested to hear your opinion on these knots. This is my first Finest so I can't compare them to anything but Silvertip, Best, Pure, and Boar Bristle. Mine arrived yesterday, so hopefully yours will arrive soon, if they have not already.

If anyone is interested in seeing how my re-knot using the finest turned out, please visit this thread in the Brush Restoration sub-forum. I've posted my initial impressions, and will be posting my experience with my "new" brush as soon as possible.

Last edited:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...s-brush-restoration-log?p=5172559#post5172559

I used a VS Silvertip knot in my last restoration (just realized I need to get back in the garage and finish up a few more) and happened to use it for this morning's shave. The quality of the knot is excellent and set at a 2:1 loft to knot ratio is good for bowl and face lathering. It is made with average or medium density which means the backbone is pretty light, but still adequate enough to give feedback while face lathering and definitely not floppy at this low setting. There is no scritch detectible in this silvertip knot, which I have experienced from a few other Chinese knot sellers so I would rank it towards the top judging by this one experience.

Any update on these knots? I am debating what knots to buy, finest, silvertip, or super badger. I am looking at the 24mm knot sizes, maybe I will order one of each to test them myself :001_smile

Last edited:
Any update on these knots? I am debating what knots to buy, finest, silvertip, or super badger. I am looking at the 24mm knot sizes, maybe I will order one of each to test them myself :001_smile

It looks like AceByTerror may be the most qualified to answer your question. IMHO they are very comfortable knots, but mine seem like they want to hog my lather. Perhaps Rob can sound off on this?

I have several - all have been excellent quality knots. Very happy with them...

View attachment 359360

I have tried both the Silvertip and the Super knots and prefer the Silvertip as the Super badger has a detectible amount of scritch which the Silvertip is lacking. Both are well made and have good density and have enough backbone to face lather. I plan on trying one of her 2-band knots in the future, but I got a stockpile to get through first.

It looks like AceByTerror may be the most qualified to answer your question. IMHO they are very comfortable knots, but mine seem like they want to hog my lather. Perhaps Rob can sound off on this?

Yep - I have nothing but good things to say about these knots across the board. I really spent a long time this winter sampling knots from as many sources as I could find. These knots were easily among the best while still being reasonably priced.

I'd say you'd be happy with pretty much any one of their knot grades. I only bought sizes 20, 22 and 24mm so I have no insight into anything larger than that, but I expect the quality would be just as good... just bigger :)

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I got my order. Actually I just got home and it was waiting for me. I will report back after shaving! But they look pretty darn good for the price. Better than the FS brushes, and cheaper.

Top Bottom