What's new

Vintage (?) Jade East

I took a flyer on this at a thrift store today for $2.99. I haven't had a chance to give it a good sniff yet because I doused myself in Tabac this morning like a high school boy and his Axe, so everything is overpowered by Tabac. Not a bad thing . . .

I don't know anything about it but it's made by "Swank." With a name like that it's got to be good, right? I'll try it tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have a chance to research in the next week or so.

I have a feeling it's going to smell terrible, but I had to have it. The bottle has such a great look, like something James Bond would have used. Even if it smelled awful.

WP_20180608_005.jpg

WP_20180608_006.jpg

Last edited:
I used to wear JE when I was in high school so I'm sure I liked it, but that was a very long time ago and have no memory of what it smelled like. Make sure you come back with your thoughts on this.

So first impressions after maybe 1/2 hour, and putting it on conservatively: From the bottle it smells horrible, like every bad, cheap, old man cologne mixed together and over applied to that weird old neighbor guy down the street. But on application it smells close to one of the Avon aftershaves. I think it's Deep Woods, but I'll have to check. Could be Wild Country. That would perfectly fine with me since I like Avon A/S but always wish the scent lasted.

For the few dabs I put on, it's got quite a bit of strength.

So, so far so good.

Scent is subjective. This was used at a time when this type of masculine scent was appreciated. Nowadays, an opinion may be opposite of an opinion during the time this fragrance was new. I think scents needs to be described based on their scent notes and not whether they smell good or bad because that is subjective based on the person smelling the scent.

You found yourself an absolute prize. I am a big fan of Jade East. I think I like Hai Karate better, but it is in the same family with Canoe and Pinaud Clubman. I wear the new formulation of JE, it is probably weaker and less complex. I bet if you wear JE around a while you will feel it is less old-manish and more of an old school classic. I don't know if you follow PaulH on youtube, but he tells stories about his working class English dad in the 70s. He said he would shave as well as he felt like, would douse himself in huge amounts of aftershave, reeking of it. And if you didn't like what he smelled like, "tough!"

Jade East is that kind of fragrance. It is the sort if fragrance that doesn't court the approval of others.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Swank was an interesting company, as I recall. Besides JE and perhaps other scents, I think the manufactured clothing, especially formal clothing, and accessories like cuff links. I could be wrong, of course. A lot of what I remember never happened. Of course, a lot of things are true that never happened.

Wow, Jade East! When I was a kid, I used to work at bingo that the PTA ran at my school on Saturday nights. I remember that the older boys used to keep a bottle of Jade East around for practical jokes. They'd unscrew the ear piece from the pay phone and fill it up with Jade East. Then they'd put it back together and carefully lay it down on the little table in the phone booth. After that, they'd page someone and tell them that they had a call. When the poor victim would pick up the phone, they'd shower themselves with Jade East. That seemed to go on, week in and week out. I wonder if they had to buy a new bottle every now and then? Unfortunately, this is the association that I always have with this frag.

Top Bottom