What's new

Vintage Gillettes .You ever think about it?

Out of the 30 or more vintage DE razors I own only one makes we wonder on occasions who owned it in the past. It's one of the highly engineered US Aristocrats from the 1930s and it has initials engraved on the handle just below the head. This somehow makes it more personal.

This is definitely something I ponder when I admire my newly acquired vintage Gillette collection. In a way it is eerie and perhaps the reason I have not shaved with any yet, but I will eventually. I don't do well with used things and always buy new stuff but vintage hardware does intrigue me. Like many of you have expounded, to imagine the personalities that have used the very instruments we hold. It is mind boggling and makes my head hurt to wonder so much!

I probably should not be shaving while under the influence.

Nope. I have bigger things to think about. Like my daughters, women and smoked barbecued pulled pork (deeeeeelicous!). Life’s to short to ponder on the history of a shave tool. History of civilization? Yes. Who was the owner & history behind a shave tool? No. But, to each their own…. :tongue_sm

One of my razors may have been shaved by Douglas MacArthur, but I will never know. Or the last president of the USSR, Mikhail Gorbachev. But, most likely, its former owner was the valet of some British aristocrat or a bank employee. The main thing is not who owned the razor or any other product, but in what condition it reached us through time. My centennial Gillette has witnessed many historical events and things. From the Ford T and World War II to the fall of the Iron Curtain and the rise of FB and Instagram. From Henry Ford to Elon Musk. But he probably slept most of his time as a Washington Irving character named Rip Van Winkle. And if he had been reasonable and could speak, he would hardly have been able to really remember his first owner in these hundred years. Only a vague image in the memory of the past century.

Hi,

I have an Old Type from my Grandfather. And a pre-war Tech and a post-war-Tech and a SuperSpeed which were my Dad's. My Fasan DoubleSlant was New Old Stock so no one used it before me.

Here you can see three of them. Plus Dad's old Rubberset brush. The pre-war Tech and SuperSpeed are in a drawer. My wife used to use the SupereSpeed before I bought her that Lady Gillette you see. That was NOS as well, BTW.

Stan

Top Bottom