What's new

Vintage Gillettes from Bulgaria

Every now and again, I come across a listing on the bay for a nice vintage Gillette that piques my interest. And more often than not, the seller is in Bulgaria.
Were Gillettes that popular over there, or is it likely to be a knock-off?

I've actually bought a couple from Bulgaria and have not been disappointed. I don't know the reasoning behind the stockpile of vintage razors in that part of the world. Perhaps it's the fall of the iron curtain that finally allowed carts to flood the market at a much later date than in the US, or perhaps they throw away less in other countries.

It's no secret that many Ebay listings about Gillette products are from Bulgarian sellers. Most are user-grade and their prices are not always good enough to make you proceed to a purchase. My understanding is that there are many flea markets and these items pique the interest of people who know their value to us. Also, Super Adjustable is one of their most common razors.

I believe there are many eastern Europeans who scour Europe's flea markets for items to sell on ebay and other such sites. They either sell them from their home country or, they ship them from a country with the most advantageous tax policy. I've seen a lot of old domestic British football ephemera from "iron-curtain" countries in which no one was ever a fan of any first-division team.

Some of my best vintage Gillettes were purchased from Bulgarian sellers. Long Combs, Short Combs, Fatboys, etc. Pristine condition, collectables and ofc 100% original. Isn't time to change our view on the world and to stop being prejudiced?

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Some of the rarest and nicest vintage razors I’ve acquired came from Bulgaria, Italy and the UK.

From Bulgaria are very man sellers of fake coins on ebay. Bulgaria has a hole industry for producing fake coins. These are sometimes also sold via Austria. Because of this I am very reluctant to buy anything from Bulgaria. I don't think they fake razors, but I still have a bad feeling.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have bought a few vintage razors from that part of the world and never had an issue.

Maybe I should try it once to buy from Bulgaria. There is one razor I am interested in, but that guy has a rating of 98%, which is for ebay not good.

98% not good? From a seller who probably has a few hundred sales or less. I would consider a Far East seller with rating 87%-89% bad, even one with 98% and hundred of thousands sells statistically not so good, but 98% from EU ... well, you make the call. Chances of catching flu virus are also relatively high shopping on BF, we should all stay home.

Italians are #1 selling fake coins from Roman Empire. However, in wet shaving we all admire their past and current goods and products. One has nothing to do with the other. Your argument doesn't hold water. If you want to stay on the safe side don't buy it. Simple as that. But coins have nothing to do with this post.

I don't think the Bulgarians sell fake razors from what I see in the photos and I don't know how they are, but the fake coin sellers were my experience with Bulgarian ebay vendors. That is why I have a bad feeling with Bulgarian vendors and why I am reluctant to buy there. You can buy all the nice razors there as you like.

Two or three years ago, there were many Wolfman razors and BBS-1 on Ebay from Russian sellers. Some smart guys spread rumors that it were fakes. They just couldn't stand the fact that some Eastern Europeans had really impressive collections of premium razors. We are not living in the Cold War era, but rather in the Golden Age of traditional shaving. Of course, there are no fake Wolfmans, like there are no fake Gillettes from Bulgaria.

Fun fact: Moscow has the most billionaires than any other region in the world. How impressive is this?

thanks for the input. either way it looks like my quest for an X-4 black beauty will not be ending any time soon....

Two or three years ago, there were many Wolfman razors and BBS-1 on Ebay from Russian sellers. Some smart guys spread rumors that it were fakes. They just couldn't stand the fact that some Eastern Europeans had really impressive collections of premium razors. We are not living in the Cold War era, but rather in the Golden Age of traditional shaving. Of course, there are no fake Wolfmans, like there are no fake Gillettes from Bulgaria.
Fun fact: Moscow has the most billionaires than any other region in the world. How impressive is this?

+1 So true.

I guess most East Europeans changed their lifestyle and way of thinking quickly, accepting the benefits of market economy and free trade and ripping the fruits of quality living. Not to say the same for most of the people from West, who are still considering them poor, lacking skills and experience.

Top Bottom