What's new

Vintage gillette razor off eBay

I agree with the many comments here that warm water and dishwashing liquid should be enough for the razor, provided there is no significant rust, which there probably isn't, especially with a nickel-plated brass razor. The steel blades, on the other hand, are another matter. It always puzzles me how some here are almost fanatical about "sterilizing" vintage razors, when it is the blades that have the most contact with the skin, sometimes even penetrating it and drawing blood. I doubt there is much chance of infection, but I would examine any old blade very carefully to make sure there is absolutely no rust before using it. Better yet, keep the old blades for the classy vintage look but use new ones.

I agree that a good wash is enough for a used razor. When I send one to someone else, I give it the 10 minute soak in the proper dilution of my Salon Care disinfectant. Makes me feel virtuous and indulges my junior chemistry set nostalgia.

I very thoroughly cleaned and disinfected the only used (and untrusted) razor blade I tried. Bad edge, but I had to prove it to myself. A Super Blue Blade. They kept showing up, installed, on wild vintage razors.

Before use, I inspected and disinfected the Blue Blade that I was ‘sure’ had never been unwrapped. Now I was really sure. Once in a lifetime was enough for that old DE blade check, though.

I might unwrap a seriously old SE some day and give that a whirl. No rush.

Top Bottom