What's new

Vintage Fishing Rod - Removing Rust From Guides

I have a 6'6" Wright & McGill "Danco" (96.5) fishing rod that I have had since my uncle bought it for me ~54 years ago. Through the process of time, the guide loops, which are just steel, have gotten a bit rusty. They are not too gross, but no longer smooth either. The finish on the rod has also crazed over time.

I am not sure this rod is worth refinishing, but I thought I might give it a go. The rod body is what it is, but I thought I might take some Mother's mag wheel cleaner and try to polish and smooth the guides. While this rod would look cool on the wall above the fireplace at a lake cabin, I don't have one, so I really don't have much to loose.

Has anybody tried such an endeavor? What did you do and how did it workout? I appreciate any input y'all might have.

Haven't used that particular Mothers product but checking the MSDS shows it is basically triethanolamine (think oven and water soluble bore cleaner) and a mild abrasive.

No reason it would not work well with a bit of elbow grease. Don't forget to ptotect the bare steel after cleaning to prevent it rusting up again.

Alternatives that I use depending on individual situation are the acidic rust removers for crude items and the chelating agents for delicate items.

Both leave a matte finish so do need a polish after removal of rust.

Minor rusting can be simply removed with fine steel wool soaked in your favourite fishing reel lubricant.

Well, I had time today to attack this project. I used Mother's Mag Wheel Cleaner to do the dirty work. Below are a few pictures. The ferrule came out best and the largest ring came out the worst. The smaller rings came out much closer to the ferrule in terms of rust removal. All rings are now smooth and usable. If I spent more time with the ring, I could probably get it cleaner, but it will perform its job fine at this point. I may do some more clean-up on it later.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Small Dremel with felt cylinder and Flitz metal polish will clean it up really gently. I use it on old tool restorations. Btw that rod looks beautiful. Nice.

Top Bottom